Homeschooling 8 year old with Aspergers and APD
    smithcheryl is offline Junior Member Newbie

Smile Homeschooling 8 year old with Aspergers and APD

I'm new to homeschool (been doing it four past 3 months) and Time for learning. My son has a hard time with hand writing. Keep words on that lines spacing apart and then spelling. Not to mention sometimes he is a little resistent to learn at times and can be stressful. I'm contemplating putting him back in school next year. Anyone have any input?

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Sometimes it just takes time to find your niche in homeschooling. I would encourage you to take the summer and continue to homeschool so you can both find your way together. I would also suggest you find local homeschool support groups and co-ops to get involved with. Don't give up!
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Bridget Bee is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by smithcheryl View Post
    I'm new to homeschool (been doing it four past 3 months) and Time for learning. My son has a hard time with hand writing. Keep words on that lines spacing apart and then spelling. Not to mention sometimes he is a little resistent to learn at times and can be stressful. I'm contemplating putting him back in school next year. Anyone have any input?
    Could it be a sensory issue? My son as AS and APD. You might try weighting down his pencil and see if that helps any. Or when he is being taught, can he sit in a rocking chair or indoor swing?

Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

My child has many diagnoses but OCD and ADHD are her two main concerns for us. She hates writing. We have tried special pencils ( the dumbo affect), special hand grips and her teacher found different handgrips than me that looked like it was for pinching the pencil. She gets all excited about it until its time to write.
    I have tried telling her its drawing. ( she loves to draw) I had her watch movies on how writing began and she loved them. ( she loved mimicking the pictures in egyptian) I have tried getting her to do it in crayon. I have suggested she write to her sister, grandma, a pen pal. I have tried to get her to write stories. I have gotten her to do mad libs 1 time and she will trace letters but absolutely does not like to do them on her own. I do not know why. I guess writing for her is like math for some. ( she has no problems doing math or reading) I am in the same boat as you. It gets so bad, she is so resistant to it she ends up in the office from getting so upset.

gardensparrow is offline Junior Member Newbie

It can definitely be challenging to homeschool a child with special needs. And, I think each parent has to decide for themselves whether they (and their child) are up for it. So, I don't think there's any right answer here. But, I do think there have been a lot of great suggestions offered on how to work through some of these issues with your son. I wondered if you could also talk with a special needs teacher at your local school, or maybe a therapist, and get some other ideas on how you can make homeschooling easier on you and your son? Also, while at Focus on the Family, I saw they have some information on homeschooling a child with special needs in this article. Not sure if it will be helpful or not, but might worth reading through. Lastly, I don't know if you've heard of them before or not, but there's an organization called Joni and Friends (you can look up their website online) that actually has a lot of material on teaching special needs kids. So, just some material to consider. Hope they help!