homeschooling an add child.
    ozzland3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default homeschooling an add child.

hello, does anyone have any advice on how to homeschool a child with add, as far as how long to do each subject and how to keep them focused. she is on meds but the side effects are not good. please help,any suggestions?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. I'm moving your thread to the Special Needs section, where you might get some advice from other parents of children with ADD.

Also, you might be interested in this page about teaching children with ADD/ADHD, and this page that includes a personal story from a mom whose child has ADD.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

PaigeSchoolofExcellence is offline Junior Member Newbie

My son has ADHD and is not on medication at this time. We homeschool and it is a very delicate balance. He has anxiety that is aggrivated by the school process which causes him to act out. He will soon begin occupational therapy for handwriting, as well as just ways to cope, behavior modification if you will. I have accepted that I need guidance by a professional to give me specific tools based on his individual assessment. These things help HIM not us. If that makes sense... We can facilitate the lessons but we need support in facilitating the bahavior modification. We chunk his work, a little here a little there. The less pressure the better. We are a member of a local support/erichment group that provides outlets with phys. ed. We take him to the skate park, lots of opportunities to release that physical energy that they have so much of!! Take it outdoors if you can. The weather has been nice here. Break up lessons with mini-recess sessions. Redirect that energy if the behavior starts to wane. You can tell when they've reached that point, so no matter how bad you want to complete the lesson or move on, just stop, dont feel defeated, give the baby a pat on the back for doing well on what they did complete, then give her a walk, or time to thrw the ball around, to play with you, release the energy. It does wonders I have found. There are days where he even tries to resist the fun of some out door play, but after a few rounds on his bike, he's free as a bird and the anxiety is gone, behavior back on track. Okay, I know how you feel, it's okay, take lots of deep breaths and give her a hug and just redirect, playing is learning too. walking, talking about the trees and the bugs, lots of action!! LOL

christine is offline Junior Member Newbie

We have two sons, a fourth grader in the excellerated gifted program and a second grader with ADHD and sensory issues. I had a conversation with the second graders teacher yesterday where she expressed how smart he is but our struggles with him are becoming more than she can handle. She wants to keep taking time out to help him because she knows he has it in him to do great things he just needs the right environment. We had looked at homeschooling before and now we feel like it truly IS option for our son. So we signed up and we will spend the summer getting him acquainted with his new "school". I know from reading the messages on this site we have made the right decision and we will help our child be successful. We know we will have struggles and having this fourm to express our issues and get advice and maybe one day even give advice makes a comfortable start. This thread post encouraged me. Christine