Homeschooling son on the Autism Specrtum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Homeschooling son on the Autism Specrtum

Aleks is offline Junior Member

Default Homeschooling son on the Autism Specrtum

Hi,
    this will be our first year homeschooling my 5th grader, Gabriel, with PDD-NOS, anxiety, sensory issues and fine-motor skill delays.

School went so horribly last year that we're trying something new and are both looking forward to it.

He is on a 504 plan which calls for him to have a clinician, social skills groups and an OT all of which we're still looking for because the school is choosing not to work with us on that. They aren't legally required since he's not on an IEP so that's their choice.

He is currently at the top of the list for the next social skills group to start up, I'm very close to having a clinician and still hunting for an OT that will take our insurance. We're very lucky to have an awesome family case worker who works closely with us through the local human resources center. We're also lucky to have a great psychiatrist so that helps a lot as well.

Looking forward to "meeting" all of you!
    Aleks

Mamala is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi, Aleks!

I'm homeschooling my 4th grade son who is also on the spectrum. I do as much OT with him as I can at home and there are some really fabulous ideas you can find online. I set aside a half an hour a day specifically for OT. I use this website a lot for ideas: Sensory Processing Disorder

I hope you are able to find some useful things there!

*´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤
    Julia*´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤

SweetMissMagnolia is offline Junior Member Newbie

my 8 1/2 yr old ds has aspergers---we've homeschooled since age 4.....he sees a "therapist" once every two weeks and sometimes once a month....he also has adhd.....was on meds but not anymore and things are going well.....
    No act of kindness is wasted.

http://thecrazyhomeschoolersnextdoor.blogspot.com/
    http://sweetmissmagnoliachat.blogspot.com/

Julie: sahm/homeschooling mom/wife

Dinomom13 is offline Junior Member

My 11-year-old daughter was recently diagnosed with Aspergers. I am considering using Time4Leaning with her, as she enjoys using the computer for learning.

I started homeschooling her in April due to health issues she has (reflux, irritable bowel, migraines, sleep apnea, hypotonia) that caused frequent absences at her brick-and-mortar school. She's now with Tennessee Virtual Academy, but is not enjoying it and is resistant to getting assignments completed.

She has a hard time with reading comprehension, and I am presently reading everything to her. She hates it - She wants to be more independent, but I'm not sure how much reading is involved for a 6th grader (although I might place her in 5th grade for most subjects) with Time4Learning? I imagine it's not nearly as much as I am having to read to her on a daily basis at the present time with TNVA.

tkinzer is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hey everyone,

I am a mom of a 13 year old young man, He is Autistic and ADHD. He is in a regular school right now, but it is not going well for him. So I have decided to homeschool him. I just got the process started today. My son Ryan wants to be independent also, but mentally he is at different grade levels. He is a 4th grade math level, but yet he is in 7th grade in regular school. In my eyes that is a big gap in between grades, so I figured if I homeschooled him, he could learn at his grade level mentally. My son gets very frustrated with his school work and often makes him depressed. So I am hoping he likes homeschooling. I have thought about time for learning, but I don't know if it's in accordance to W.V. regulations. I wish you all the very best. Thank you all for your time.
    Tkinzer

I withdrew my daughter from Tennessee Virtual Academy and we started Time4Learning last week. So far, so good. She's officially a 6th grader, but I placed her in 4th for Science, and 5th for Social Studies and Language Arts. She's great at Math, so kept her in 6th for that subject.

I love that we're able to adjust those grade levels here to meet our children's needs! She was totally freaking out when she saw a Science lesson - and that she'd have to read. There wasn't much on each page - but she was still worried that it would be "too hard" - so I read the first lesson to her and we did it that way. Today, she did 4 Science lessons - totally on her own. Two inclued quizzes, and she made 90% and 100% on them - She was so proud of herself.

Good luck in your decision, tkinzer. I don't know about the regulations in your state, but there should be a section here for your state where you might find more detailed information.

ChristineBBD is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up

tkinzer, you really made the right decision. He will start to shine soon! Don't worry about doing 4th grade subjects, he's been overstimulated by noise, teasing, etc and he needs to 'wind down' mentally. Go easy for the first few months and relax. It WILL fall into place, autistic kids are gifted and I'm sure when your son sees how much potential he has, he'll reach grade level and then some!

This is my first year home schooling as well. I've been fortunate to have good doctors who support us, and we have a faaabulous OT nearby, and while it's expensive, at least our insurance reimburses us for most of the cost.

Hang in there! You're on the right track!
    Christine

The Young Family is offline Junior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome Aleks,

I too feel your pain. This is the second time I have pulled one of my boys from public school. I sure know what it is for a teacher to not feel the need to abide by the IEP. My 12 year old is in 7th grade scores in the 8th grade level. He has social issues stemming from Dyslexia, Dysgraphia and ADHD. It is so hard to get the teachers to understand the emotional toll it takes on these kids when they have to struggle and aren't really heard. I think it is horrible that your sons teacher chose not to 'teach' him and let him sleep. It breaks my heart. Good for you taking the steps to help him yourself by homeschooling.

Both my boys and I are ADHD and Dyslexic so I truly understand the emotional and academic struggles they face. Not only are we saving money by homeschooling they get the help they need without the hassle of school meetings for IEP and emailing and calling the teachers and having the teacher try to diagnose the problem.

Best wishes and nice to meet you.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineBBD View Post
    dinomom, how are things going? Is the reading improving yet? If she's fighting you on the reading, maybe you can set it to the side for a bit, and work on some of her strengths. You can pick up reading again, maybe start with 3rd grade level when you start it up again? Whatever reading level you choose, start where she'll be successful and work up from there. It sounds like you're both frustrated and taking a break might be what you need.

I may lower the reading level at some point - but for now, she's doing fine with what she's doing. She is doing great with the 4th grade Science, but not as well with 5th grade Social Studies, so might lower that level a bit and see if she does better then. Going to let her finish the current unit before I adjust, though, to see if things start to gel.

LizzyBee is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello! I understand all you are saying. My son is in 4th grade, and is very good at reading and comprehension, but math is a struggle to a point and he cannot write for beans. For the last two years we have tried to find the best educational fit for him, trying AZVirtual Academy, then trying to get him into school (Major bust!!) and then book work. Nothing worked, although the AZVA did for 3rd grade to a point. Now that we are here, he has been able to do the work quickly, and see his success in the things he's doing with the stars and arrows, and the backpack that he and I look at together. He has even logged on without me and started his work on his own. We have only been here for 2 days! Schools try, but they really don't have any clue what to do with children like ours who need things so different than typicals. My middle son is a typical, but my youngest is just fine having disables, as he calls them, and that mom has disables too (I have MS). Thanks for all the information I am already getting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast