How to help my LD student mangage at 3rd grade level
    NewLifeAcademy is offline Member Regular

Default How to help my LD student mangage at 3rd grade level

Okay, facts are facts. My dd is a 10yo learning challenged, yet very bright student. She can read but not at the 3rd grade level. She loves the t4l LA section but unless I "help" her read it there is no way to get through. She doesn't want to read "baby" books and I don't mind sitting with her and helping her about every 5th word BUT am I doing her a dis-service by helping her too much?

What do other parents of LD students do? Do I go back and just let her read stuff at her reading level or do I keep helping her with every 5th word until she starts to get it? She IS learning and she IS reading better everyday but if I just let her do it she would be soooo frustrated. She took the test as much on her own as she could. She knew all the answers to the test but couldn't read all the words on her own. HELP!

ccpeterson is offline Member

What level do you have her doing LA on? Perhaps you need to lower the level? My 11 year old son is doing 2nd grade level as he needs to improve his reading skills still. This is working well for him. My 8 1/2 daughter is doing the 1st grade level. Those levels have GREAT review in phonics and learning to read.
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11

Thank you Charity. I have decided to do that very thing that you suggested. I was getting too far ahead of myself. I set some goals that today, I realized will be too stressful and ultimately defeat our purpose of a solid foundation every step of the way. I am starting tomorrow going back to the Extensions in the 2nd grade level of the LA.

JenniferJ is offline Member Regular

I know this topic is old, but still wanted to weigh in here.

After trying my LD ds10 at 2nd grade only, I decided to let him do one lesson on the 2nd grade level and 2 lessons on the 3rd grade level in LA. That way he gets his phonics instruction that he needs and he can do some of the 3rd grade level(I do have to read some to him, but he can do the material pretty well).

I like that I can personalize the program to the child's exact needs.
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

Thanks JenniferJ. We are still in the 2nd grade level of the T4L. She has started reading chapter books at the 2nd grade level which is a great leap from only reading a few words here and there. You might come across my "I'm Doing the Happy Dance" post for more of an update.

https://www.time4learning.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=605

JenniferJ is offline Member Regular

I love being able to customize like this! Going up a grade or down as we see fit w/out wasting curriculum $$.

I looked at your other topic and posted there as well!
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD