How Much is Too Much??
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robin

Thread: How Much is Too Much??

MomOf2BeautifulMinds is offline Junior Member

Default How Much is Too Much??

Hi There!

I just started homeschooling my son who is 10 and in 4th grade. Our story is a LONG one so I will share the Reader's Digest version along with my questions if I may.....

My son is on the Autism Spectrum and is extremely high functioning for the most part. His biggest struggles are ADHD and Generalized Anxiety. He does have other health issues that ultimately led to us needing to pull him because the make up work was triggering major anxiety attacks.

He absolutely LOVES the T4L Curriculum. In fact, he can't wait until we start school for the day which makes me so happy. However, there are times (IE: Social Studies) where he is required to read a lot and reading comprehension is not a strong suit.

I guess what my questions are would be:

#1. How do we work our plans so that there are enough lessons but not too many? I'm finding when I try to do lesson plans and go to print the week (even with choosing my own) it still seems like a lot for him to do in one day.

#2. Do any of you have schedule suggestions? How long you expect a lesson to take etc.?

#3. How much is too much?

He really is great with schedules and horrible with change, so this means I still need to incorporate his 40 min. daily specials that he was getting in public school into my schedule. I don't want him doing school until 4:00 every night in all honesty.

I understand when we homeschool we become the: Teacher, Administrator, etc...

I just need to make sure that by me wanting to keep up with everything I am not overwhelming him in the process.

Thank you so much for any advice you can give.

Sending a big hello from NJ!

Robin is offline Senior Member

Default Re: How Much is Too Much??

I'm no expert, but I have always followed my children's lead. I never set up any rigid schedules. I would have them work for 30 mins per subject. If we found that was too much, we might say 20 mins. Or we'd say do 2 activities per subject each day. Whatever worked. And sometimes that changed depending on their mood that day or how the weather was (have to get outside). Maybe you could try something like that so there is no pressure to get a lot done each day?