How to teach a dyslexic child multiplication tables ?????
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    audom is offline Junior Member

Default How to teach a dyslexic child multiplication tables ?????

Help...Help....Help... I am new in homeschooling my 8-year old grandson who is dyslexic. Reading and writing he dislikes completely, but he likes Math and his logic works well. He masters now addition and subtraction. But with multiplication he has a problem cause he cannot remember the tables. His memory is very weak. Is there any parent or teacher out there who knows a method or a trick or a helpful way to make my boy remember multiplication tables ??? He helps himself by counting with his fingers which works fine for small numbers likes X 2 and X 3, but with bigger numbers like X 4 and up he is lost. Thanks for reading and I will appreciate your help. Gisela

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Gisela. Math is the most difficult subject for my daughter. It's wonderful that he really likes math. So he may like some games or other tricks and tips for math concepts. I've picked up a few from Pinterest. You can just do a search on Pinterest on Dyslexia Multiplication. Here are a couple of links to some boards on Dyslexia:
    DYSLEXIA
    Dyslexia is a Learning Difference

Also, one of the Time4Learning veteran moms wrote an e-booklet on Successfully Homeschooling Your Child with Dyslexia.

I hope these things help. Maybe someone else will chime in on what has worked with their child.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Gisela,

I posted your question on our Facebook page today (Sunday, Nov. 17) in hopes you will get more responses.

https://www.facebook.com/Time4Learning

Quote Originally Posted by audom View Post
    Help...Help....Help... I am new in homeschooling my 8-year old grandson who is dyslexic. Reading and writing he dislikes completely, but he likes Math and his logic works well. He masters now addition and subtraction. But with multiplication he has a problem cause he cannot remember the tables. His memory is very weak. Is there any parent or teacher out there who knows a method or a trick or a helpful way to make my boy remember multiplication tables ??? He helps himself by counting with his fingers which works fine for small numbers likes X 2 and X 3, but with bigger numbers like X 4 and up he is lost. Thanks for reading and I will appreciate your help. Gisela
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Thanks a million Jackie. I am not on fb so I appreciate this. Please let me know if there is any replies. Gisela

Thanks so much Janet for your reply. Yes my boy loves math and his logic is good, just dyslexia is the problem. He sees numbers upside down, reads 15 as 51 etc. I will get the e-booklet you are suggesting. Thanks again....gisela

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

It received lots of comments!!

• Joy Capps We use Xtramath.com

T4L: https://www.time4learning.net/.../how-teach-dyslexic.../...How to teach a dyslexic child multiplication tables ?????
      www.time4learning.net

Jennifer Markestad Timez Attack, Math Mystery Museum. Let him use a times tables grid for now.

Brooke Simmons: On multiplication.com they have left and right brain math games. They are pictures that tell a story that rhyme with the math problem. Its a cartoon flashcard.

Marne Shanklin Touch math for times tables work well. This is what my dyslexic 11 year old still uses.

Jennifer Strong My son has autism and the only program that helped him was Touch Math!

Beth Nichols Try again! Start with one table at a time. Make a chart of each table. Every day say them together several times. Then have him to write them a few times. Do this every day, spending at least a week per table.( Add an extra week on the ones that give him more trouble). Have him to write the table you are working on for homework two or three times. Also, on the second or third day say the table from top to bottom, them bottom to top. Then chose randomly. This way he is not just memorizing, but learning them! I have homeschooled my 4 children for 10 years now, this is how they mastered the x tables... Good luck to you both!

Anna Bostic Maybe a rhyme or songs?

Elizabeth Howell We had a lady come to the school & show us the ball trick. Get a football (nerf) write numbers all over the ball. Then when he throws the ball he sees the #'s his fingers are on then he yells out the answers! Example: his thumb is on the 9 & his finger is on the 5. He multiplies them for the answer of 45! Addition,subtraction,division same way. You can do the same for basketball,baseball! Hope that helps!

Aundrea Wharton There is an absolutly awesome websitewww.multiplication.com it helps by teaching with pictures and stories. My son was picking it up the first day!Free Multiplication Games, Activities, & Resources | Multiplication.com
      www.multiplication.com

Aundrea WhartonThere is an absolutly awesome

websitewww.multiplication.com it helps by teaching with pictures and stories.

My son was picking it up the first day!
    Free Multiplication Games, Activities, & Resources | Multiplication.com
    www.multiplication.com

Kathryn Lehrbaum-BirrenTimes tales is recommended by experts

Sandra Bryan-Haun Turn the multiplication tables into a song!

Elissa Aldrich Contact the Scottish Rite in your area. Almost every chapter has a education lab of some sort. They are helping my son with mild dyslexia and dysgraphia through a university communication center. They will help you learn how to teach the way your child needs you to teach them.

Beth Nichols Repetitive

Lisa Johnson Huston A hands-on approach to mathematics - RightStart Mathematics by Activities For Learning Inc. we loved the card

games - helped our daughter remember and recall her multiplication facts quickly A hands-on approach to mathematics - RightStart Mathematics by Activities For Learning Inc.
    www.rightstartmath.com

Rhonda Cisneros www.diannecraft.org has wonderful materials for dyslexic students and many videos and programs that I found helpful with my son. www.timestales.com worked well for teaching the multiplication tables to my children. All you need is the flipbook. Don't waste your money on the extras like the workbook and flashcards. The workbook especially was very poorly done, but the core flipbook two or three times a day for a week should be all you need. Some people love multiplication.com, I'm hearing great things, but I haven't had time to look at it yet.

Julie Frye Look for this book... "Right-Brained Multiplication & Division by Sarah Major. It gives instruction through images, stories, hands-on activities, and patterns

Julie Frye Also try Math-U-See

Janet Langley I am SO glad to get some advice here to, my son, 9 just cant remember his times tables either! He's not dyslexic but we just cant get it to stick Finally we moved onto other math and we'll come back to it

Rebecca Facile Music! Find the tables done to songs, he can also learn to count by 3 4 etc just like counting by 2, 5, and 10. Games are always great

SusanAndy Julian School house rock has some good song on you tube for times tables

Jeralee Mornhinweg My son was 10 and still stressing about these, we did drills on an iPod app all summer- still nothing, flash cards-nope. manipulatives-still nothing. Finally I had him do it the linear way I did as a kid which the teachers "frowned upon" because there was not instant recall )he is in public school). After 2 yrs of drills and stress their way, it was obvious that he did not learn the way they were teaching in school (recall, timed recall tests, visual flash cards etc). I had him just learn the skip count answers and use fingers to rapidly count them out .. 0,4,8,12,16,20,24,28,32,36,40 etc,, as he rattled these off in order his fingers were counting. So if I asked 4x7.. his fingers skip counted up to 7 fingers for the answer. After a few months of that he just knew them, but short term this way at least he knew what answers were feasible choices, could narrow in and get the answer. I was glad to see with my second child that I homeschool that our third grade Math Mammoth actually teaches this linear skip count way first.

Skye Ware I am a dyslexic adult and I was about 10/11 before I really got my times tables....I still have problems now But he will get it just dont presure him...Dyslexic people are just wired differently just ask Picasso or Einstein

Annie SudduthMake it a game who likes to sit & learn math facts?! There is a game (amazon.com for sure) called Speed. Draw answers in sidewalk chalk & call.out a prob he jumps to the answer. Make it fun!

Annie SudduthAlso no one says u have to learn all addition then all subtraction then multiplication then division.(well except school) My dd is 7 & she knows how to do all of them plus time &fractions. The key is makin it fun & applying in a way that is useful. Divide your toys into parts, use pairs of shoes to learn multiplication of 2. etc

Melanie Mitchell RollinsCheck out xtramath.org. It is meant for math facts.

Jeanette SladeSing them

Kristen CraigMy ten-year-old daughter is dyslexic. Honestly, the best thing that has helped is just practicing them in the car. We stick with one number (i.e. the nines) and I just quiz her over and over.

Melanie StutesTry singing the tables. Using rhythm and rhyme helps my students with disabilities. Also you can get videos or audio recordings- my students loved hip hop version. You can play multiplication games online as well. Understanding the concept and being able to figure out answers is just as good as memorizing. If all else fails, he can always use a multiplication chart or calculator if all other techniques fail or frustrate him.

Cathy Byrd Skipper At 8 yrs old and already masters addition and subtraction is advanced. I would just give it some time and maybe take a break and work on reading It sounds like you are doing a great job Grandma!

Omi MexicoSay, repeat, and march. It will take a month or so. but once he learns it, he'll be fine. Dont expect to see fruit until he's 10 H's a boy. They tend to forget alot.

Lisa Johnson Huston Sum rummy - best game ever

Joyfully,
    Jackie

Jackie thanks a million. I really appreciate all the answers and will test the advise one by one, to see what can work with my grandson. Keep up the good work.... gisela

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

There is some fantastic information and great resources in this thread. My 12 year old is profoundly dyslexic and, although I've been at this for years now, this was helpful reading for me too! Thanks for sharing all this, Jackie!

Jennifer
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com

Dart Ridenour is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Gisela,

There is a method that I think will help your grandson learn the multiplication tables. This system was created by a math teacher who understood that everyone learns differently. It will help because he can use the intelligence that he excels in to memorize the facts. Using colors, stories, rhymes, movement and spatial placement will help him to remember. I would recommend you look into the "multiple intelligences" made most popular by Gardner as the 7 intelligences and "Brain Gym" for other resources.

I would like to help more, just email me.
    Children LEARN MULTIPLICATION TABLES using pictures.

christen is offline Junior Member

My daughter has dyscalculia. What worked the best for us was the Times Tales DVD.

Before we even looked at T4L math we basically started math over. She is in 4th grade but we went back to basics. We did Addition Stories to memorize the addition facts and we did Life of Fred Math, the whole elementary series along with Times Tales. Then, and only then, did we start regular 4th grade math on T4L and finally I feel like she is caught up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast