I have a twice exceptional 12 year old
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By marianes

Thread: I have a twice exceptional 12 year old

Pattyla is offline Junior Member

Default I have a twice exceptional 12 year old

Hi,
    My 12 year old is officially 7th grade however she is not that level for any subject.

She reads and comprehends on an upper highschool/college level.
    She writes and spells on a lower elementary level.
    Math is also about 3rd grade.

She loves science and social studies and understands those ideas easily and happily reads most books that I give to her both fiction and non-fiction.

I'm trying to figure out how to assign her levels that challenge her and teach her without overwhelming her (she tends to shut down and refuse to work at all if she thinks she is being asked to do work that is too hard for her). I would love to put her in high school level reading but I'm not sure if the rest of the grade 9 English material would be beyond her. Nor am I sure if it is even possible to do that with this program since she is otherwise in much lower grades.

Ideas?

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Pattyla. Normally, if you place your daughter in 7th grade, she would have access to 6th, 7th, and 8th grade lessons and activities automatically. However, if you need even more flexibility beyond that, I would definitely call the support team. They will do what they can to work with you on the different grade levels per subject. 888-771-0914
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

marianes is offline Junior Member

Hi Pattyla,

I have a twice exceptional 11-year-old, going into 7th grade also. She's far advanced in all academics including high school algebra at an advanced studies academy.

Up until she turned 10/11, it was all fun and games getting to teach her advanced level things and just enjoying it, but I'm right there with you now that suddenly we're in the tweens and things are getting interesting!

My biggest challenge with children like this, mine specifically, is recognizing that although the material she can learn is so advanced, she is still ONLY 11 years old. Yes, we're working through atomic properties of the periodic table followed by lessons on the Pythagorean Theorem, but what I always keep in my head and repeat to myself often is "she's still just a little girl."

What this has done for me is to recognize that developmentally, children up through middle childhood learn best through play based learning on some level. That means tossing the handouts, textbooks, & worksheets and making learning experiential. Hands-on experiments, learning through everyday activities, etc. There is no "work," it's all play and activity based learning. Once the foundation was set, she was the one who led the way on turning to books & handouts to figure out the details of things, like the periodic table and specifics of chemistry (yes that's our latest thing this summer )

Twice exceptional kids tow the line between disability and advanced ability. They've got one foot in both worlds, and it's hard to balance that. What has worked for us is to let her lead. See how far she's willing to go on her own, then provide support to help her take one step further. Don't say "yes, you can." Say instead, "I know, this is harder that the last lesson isn't it? Let's work together on it so we can figure it out." This validates her fears & what she's thinking while teaching her the MORE important lesson of problem solving through a difficult situation. What they need more than anything is confidence and validation. Learning comes a lot easier once they've got that.

Good luck
    bailbrae likes this.