IEP and 8th grade reading test
    Jamie McKeever is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default IEP and 8th grade reading test

My son was in public school till 5th grade. He was in IEP the entire time. Before starting the 6th grade my child said momma please teach me how to read, all they do at school is sit me to the side and I color or do puzzles. So i pulled him out and taught my child to read! The school system admitted that they let my child slip through the cracks. So my question now is he can read on a 12th grade level, does he still have to take the 8th grade reading test?

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Jamie.

I think it's great that your son made you aware of the situation at school. Imagine how many kids fall through the cracks who cannot express the situation to their parents. My daughter has special needs and homeschooling has been the best choice for us! I don't think she'd be reading as well as she is had I sent her to school. Good for you, mom, for pulling your son out of school and teaching him yourself!

So in regard to you question, are you homeschooling now? When you ask if he still has to take the 8th grade reading test, are you referring to testing in the schools or are you referring to homeschooling testing? And if you're homeschooling, the homeschool laws vary from state to state. For example, I live in Florida. The homeschool law in Florida requires that our students have shown progress from year to year through testing or an evaluation with a certified teacher or psychologist. We do not need to show test scores. Just a letter that indicates our student has shown progress from the previous year.

When I take her to the certified teacher to test her, I ask her show me what percentile my daughter falls into in comparison to other children in school in a couple of different grade levels, just for our own understanding of where she stands. Also, the certified teacher who tests my daughter is a homeschool mom and she's very familiar with the laws and requirements. You may want to find a homeschool support group in your area and ask them to refer you to someone for testing.

You can also find an answer to your question by contacting your State's Department of Education and ask for the home education department or representative. You can also contact the Homeschool Legal Defense Association.

Best wishes to you! See you around the forums!
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 07-13-2015 at 07:55 PM.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass