I'm becoming SO frustrated!
    corywingate is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default I'm becoming SO frustrated!

I'm at my wit's end with trying to get math thru to my 12 yearold. He just shuts down at ANY math. It's frustrating to find where he belongs. There is math he can't remember how to do from 3d to 5th grade. He can do a little in each but not enough to move on. And the Multiplication is putting him in a comma
    I feel like I'm to the point of hiring a tutor just to catch him up on his math. I don't know where to start. I looked at some of the tutors on line. Is there anything here that could help that I don't know about?
    Any help please???

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'll tell you about one of my children. Sometimes you can find a few things you can use in someone else's experience and, hopefully, others will be along to advise also.

One of my daughters could practice the same math concept all week and then, when she sat down to work on her lessons on Monday, she'd say, "Mom, you haven't taught this to me yet." They were the same type of problems she had been successfully doing all the previous week. She just required constant review in math. (She still does, actually, and she will graduate high school this coming June.)

I got her a daily math practice workbook. Be sure and look inside, so you can see that this book is not intimidating at all. There are only five problems per day. Monday focuses on addition, Tuesday on subtraction, Wednesday on multiplication (including fractions), Thursday on division (including fractions), and Friday on "something else" (like geometry, money, etc.)

This made a big difference for her. I kept our regular math program and purchased a review book that was several grade levels below where she was working. I didn't want to have to teach her anything in the review book. I only wanted it to review things she had already learned using her regular math program. She was in junior high at the time, and I think I got the fourth grade book for her (maybe fifth).

This child finds math so difficult that we have focused on what I like to call "survival math" for her high school years. My other high schoolers do algebra and geometry, but I have had her doing workbooks that teach checkbook skills, calculating how many miles per gallon your car is getting, figuring out how much carpeting you need to purchase for a house of a certain size, budgeting, and other real-life skills.

I bought workbooks from Remedia, which are intended for special needs. Look at Department Store Math, Checkbook Math, and Practical Math. Although my daughter doesn't have any diagnosed special needs, math was enough of a problem for her that I think this was a great choice for us. She's in her last year of high school now, and almost finished with Time4Learning's middle school math. I think that's as good as it's likely to get, but she will certainly know enough math to get by in life.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you....I will go look at the sites.
    Someone else suggested a "goody bag" , and when he finishes his math he can reach in the goody bag for a treat.

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Some kids just do not get math. I didnt, I had what was considered a math block. I understood up thru pre-algebra but then I was lost. I took algebra 4x in high school and I still do not get it.
    When I sew, I have to sit down and figure out on paper HOW to make sure I have enough fabric, etc. I use math everyday doing bills, etc. but I had to figure ways to make it work for ME.
    Sounds great Kelly how you taught your daughter, some kids just do not get it. As long as she retains lifeskill basics... I think she has it made.

Blog Entries

A goody bag sometimes works if motivation is the problem. If a student is already doing his best, goody bags can feel like yet another unattainable goal. A parent is usually able to figure out if the child is truly "math challenged" or just "unmotivated".

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

alearningadventure is offline Member Regular

My daughter has a similar problem with math, my son grasps it quickly. We tried Kumon for a year and it had it's benefits - repitition! But it was expensive. I print off free worksheets from Math-drills.com (there are lots of sites) and we do several reviews per week, simple adding and subtracting. multiplication and more difficult ones too up to 3 digits. We also did Times Table the Fun way and that seems to have helped a lot. We watch School house Rock. I don't let the kids watch TV during the week except for educational videos so they actually ask for School house rock!!!

We also play adding and subtracting, mult/div, and fraction games, we are adding money and allowance games and bingos.

I also love the worksheets with hands on activities. I used the T4L one today with measuring and added a lot mor things to measure. The kids were measuring everything!

My daughter has trouble with the analog clock so several times a day, I ask her the time. We also have a time mathcing game for this.

We talk about how math is used in everything cooking, sewing, figuring out how much paint to buy to paint their rooms. Will the bed they want fit etc. I tell them over and over that if they know how to count to ten and add and subtract, then they can do all math because all math is based on those simple facts.

I am finding that this helps put math into context for my daughter and is not this hard suject out there, but rather one that she can use and understand.

I hope this helps. And I must admit that this possible? potential? actual? "wisdon" is not mine but gleaned for many much wiser than me (mostly Kelly )

Laura

Blog Entries

Laura, all I can do is throw out ideas and share what's worked for us. You're the one who customizes and implements a plan to suit your kids. It's been so neat to see your comfort level increase over the past few months!

I have to admit I just don't take the time I should. We have had three grand parents die, and the last grandmother is suffering from Alzheimer. This has taken it's toll on me, and the kids . I have this hopeless tired feeling all the time it seems. Then I add to it by trying to find a quick fix for the kids. I don't want to put them in public school, and can't afford private schools.
    I signed up here because it was giving the reins to teach them over to someone else. And he still isn't getting math

alearningadventure is offline Member Regular

Consider TImes Table the Fun Way. It teaches by stories. A lot of people don't like it because they tell me the kids should just memorize the facts, but my daughter found math boring and memorizing the boring things hard (she can memorize songs with no problem) Times tables the fun way helped her enjoy multiplication as well as learn it. I borrowed it from a friend but I belive their website is www.citycreek.com

As for what is going on in your lives with the grandparent losses and the one with ALZ. That is also a learning experience. As you grieve the loss and celebrate their lives, they are learning. I would suggest talking about what live was like when those grandparents were young and how things changed. We have gone from country life to town life to city life and the information age during their lifetimes. This could be especially relevant to the grandparent with ALZ as they will be focusing more and more on what was and not what is.

We have started reading more too. We just picked up classics, historical novels. Aesops fables, Greek Myths etc and are reading them a little a day. And there are games. Multiplication, fractions, Allowance, money . . .

Although many do not agree with TV, I do think some educational videos in moderation are helpful. We went to the library and checked out videos on Marco Polo, Columbus etc after doing the Time4learning Social Studies lessons. THis has helped them remember the history better. Today they filled in the gaps of the video with info they learned on T4L! Schlesinger videos has math ones as well as history ones.

Hang in there. Try different things, Don't worry so much about how fast they learn or how much they get done in a day. Don't be so hard on yourself. There is always hope - even in what seems to be the most hopeless of situations.

These are your kids and you know them better than anyone. Give it time and I know you will look back on this time period and see how far you've all come.

I know I can!

Laura

Laura thank you for your post, and all the information. I think learning thru songs will be a great way for him to learn. That's how we taught him when he was little. I'll let you know how it works out.