Independence Day woes
    SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Default Independence Day woes

Does anyone else's child have a hard time on the 4th of July?

Little man has always done poorly with noise, especially fireworks. Every time there is a boom the poor little guy jumps out of bed and runs into our room. He's been that way since he could physically do it. We tried going to a show last year before I was aware of the extent of his sensitivities and he was miserable. This year I am staying in with him. We have a good view of the fireworks out my bedroom window (triple-paned = pretty quiet) so we will watch them with the windows shut. Dh and the girls can go out to the yard and watch.
    Melissa.

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Independence Day woes

Melissa,
    This may sound odd but as a child and grown-up with sensitive ears and have a son who has it too and fireworks are the worse. They drive us both bonkers. Andyways back to the odd. If you have a set of Mickey Mouse earcovers... Umm, like they use on the shooting range or for working with noisy power tools, this is what my son wears and they really muffle the noise. He even goes to sleep in them tonight. We have tried foam earplugs, etc. but these work the best.
    They are like a giant set of headphones from the 70's but are made to reduce outside noise from things like gunshots or power tools.
    As I said in my post, we ALL went one year to the neighborhood thing. I hated it and left early. It drove me nuts and I spent the whole time with my hands over my ears. My DH and sons have gone the past 2 years and I end up walking down to get youngest son as he is miserable, even with the ears on because he is RIGHT there. He comes home and wears them while in the house and can handle the noise without almost going bonkers.

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE fireworks from VERY far away! If I cant hear them, they are beautiful.
    Off to try to find a link so you can see what I am talking about better.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/shootandhun.html
    The guys in the pic are wearing what I am talking about and you can read more below pic as its an earplug store! They are about $24 I think around here. I am pretty sure you can get a pair at Lowes or Home Depot as well, or a sporting goods store if you have one close-by.

And HUGE HUGS to your little guy from someone else who has the same issues with the noise!!! Hang in there tonight!!

Thank you for the tip! We're planning to go to town today, so I'll see if I could get him to wear them in the store.
    Melissa.

You are totally welcome!!!
    We have tried other stuff like foam ear plugs, etc. but these seemed to help the best. DH already brought them in for tonight.
    HUGS!

Guess what? He didn't need them! Someone suggested desensitizing him by using the computer and it totally worked. I found a long video of Disneylad fireworks and turned it on when it started to get dark outside. Every time one went off nearby, I said, "Boom! There go those fireworks, just like the ones on this show." He fell asleep in my arms watching the video and didn't wake up once even though they were going off until after midnight.
    Melissa.

Cool Melissa!!!!

Better yet, we had to get up really early to take dh to work and he slept in the car. Then, after I dropped M off at camp, he slept the whole way home (and is still sleeping)! In fact, both little ones are asleep. It's like a vacation in the middle of the afternoon. This NEVER happens around here.
    Melissa.

aprilh is offline Member

Melissa,

I'm glad to hear your 4th of July wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. When my DS was little, he also had a really hard time with loud noises (fireworks, fire alarms, emergency sirens). He is 12 now and, as he has gotten older, his sensitivities have really decreased. He still dislikes loud noises, but his reactions are not so harsh and over-the-top. He responds in a much more "normal" way. You might want to check out the book "The Out-of-Sync Child" by Carol Stock Kranowitz. It provides lots of good information and practical advice for helping people with sensory processing issues.

April

Great, thank you for the suggestion!

Last night, C learned how to plug his ears. Yay! Now if he does that when sounds are bothering him, I will know instead of just trying to guess what's wrong. We went to the drive-in theater and it was not crowded at all (huge plus #1), partially lit (bonus #2), and we could easily regulate the sound via the car radio (blessing #3). So in short, C made it through half the movie with hardly a fuss. After that point, it was really late (gets dark late here in the summer!) so I just packed him into his carseat with his minky, blankie, and favorite stuffed animal, and he actually fell asleep. He did some mid-level screaming as we carried him away from the playground back to the car to watch the show, but that's nothing new. I think he did great. Comparatively, when we've tried going to Imax films in the past, or even just a walk-in theater, he's crying before the previews are over and I end up walking him through the halls until the family is done watching the film. I like this way better!
    Melissa.