Introduction: No stranger to ASD...Hello
    TeacherMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Introduction: No stranger to ASD...Hello

Hello,
    I am new here to the forum and home schooling, and we are using Time4Learning as a home school curriculum. My name is Korie and I live in Oregon State.

I have two boys, ages 7 and almost 6, who have ASD (autism spectrum disorder)in different degrees from each other. Along with this, they also have ADD/ADHD and other issues.

I am hoping that someone here will be able to give me some advice on how to go about getting their attention to actual learning on the screen. Does anyone here have a child who has this or related disorders?
    Both boys love to be on the computer however, they both react so strongly if they are told school work or anything related to it. Any suggestions?
    My oldest is also gifted with a high IQ, and his recall for facts is remarkable. He seems to be mechanically minded as well. He taught himself to read at the age of three once I showed him how to sound out a word and so forth.
    My youngest also displays a higher IQ. He can figure out puzzles and mazes very easily. He shows interest in art, and both boys love music.

My question is: What does Time4Learning expect from the child if they are slow in learning or it is difficult for the child to be longer than 10 mins. in one subject? If this makes sense. LOL. I am rather tired and I don't think I'm making too much sense.

Thank you for any help and/or advice. I think this is a wonderful way for the children to learn.

Best Wishes,
    TeacherMom/Korie

Korie
    Mother to two bright and beautiful boys who are challenged with ASD

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Korie. Welcome, from another Oregonian. I'm about a hundred miles east of Portland.

Time4Learning doesn't "expect" anything of your student. Time4Learning is a tool for you to use in the way that best suits your child. If you have discovered that your boys learn best when material is presented in ten minute chunks, then that's the way you should do it.

Time4Learning is actually ideal for this type of presentation, as the lessons activities are usually short enough to be completed in that amount of time.

Here is more information on using Time4Learning with children with special needs. This quote from that page is interesting: Time4Learning was the first online curriculum which help my sons attention. My son has attention (ADHD) issues and reading and learning difficulty and after difficulties in school, we find that homeschool works well for him. Time4Learning has made our days much easier and more productive. Mother of eight year old boy. homeschool Texas

Here is specific information on using Time4Learning with children with autism.

I'm sure other parents will come along and share their experiences.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

NewLifeAcademy is offline Member Regular

That's what I love about T4L! My SLD daughter is in 2nd grade for math and 3rd for Language arts and 4th for science and social studies. When you homeschool it is so important to have this flexibility. We set goals for the day or week and don't put an amount of time on the lesson time. Sometimes you just have to go play a game to really "get" it then go back to the T4L.

ccpeterson is offline Member

How long have your children been using Time4Learning? My 11 yo son is like your children....if it has to do with 'school' he wants nothing to do with it. But, he has really taken to Time 4 Learning. What I have found that really helps is to set goals with him, and when he reaches these goals, there is a benefit. Right now he is working at the 2nd grade level for Language Arts, to help with his reading. He does a reading 'fluency' lesson every day. It has a goal of reaching 90 words per minute as far as how fast he can read. I told him that when he reached 90 wpm, we'd go to Chuck E Cheese (he LOVES playing the games there). Well, he reached that goal and last Saturday we went. Now he's ready to up that goal just a little bit. Next time, we'll go go karting. This really motivates him. I think when a child struggles, they need that motivation to keep them going.
    Just an idea. You'll find what works for your family.
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11

TeacherMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

I do reward my boys when they reach a goal or score a complete assignment. I believe this is the key to helping kids especially ones with special needs, to strive and complete tasks.

We are very new to T4L. I signed up my oldest on the 18th of this month. I am waiting for a second computer to be connected so my youngest can start as well.

Since my oldest has seen how "enjoyable" learning is here at T4L, he can't get enough. LOL. I love it! And my youngest is begging to help him. So, I think we have found the right teaching system for them both
    Korie
    Mother to two bright and beautiful boys who are challenged with ASD

ccpeterson is offline Member

That is wonderful Korie.
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11