Just started T4L - PDD-NOS Son - Math Issue - 2nd Grade
    sandypie is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Just started T4L - PDD-NOS Son - Math Issue - 2nd Grade

I love love love T4L for my son! Very visual and funny, I laugh along with him. He was breezing though most of the work even when it seemed it was going to be hard for him. Now? Not so much....He is COMPLETELY stuck on questions like" 'what's 100 more than 506" so easy when I coach him on our dry-erase board but when we get down to it, he gets stuck, he can not relate it to the work he has to complete on the computer......

I dont know if Im making this a big deal and should just move on with other subjects and let it rest or should I stick with this until he gets it?? He shuts down, we are on our 2nd day with this same lesson. I cant push him too much or he just starts wondering and looking elsewhere. *sigh*

I've tried the number chart, worksheets, youtube video, on the subject.... my next step is using blocks to simulate 100's 10's and 1's. Its my last hope.

So move on? try again and again? Forget it?? what do you think? rrrrrr!

msbisschop is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default cue word flash cards

Language can be very difficult! My son has autism, and sometimes he hits language and concept walls like that. This is what sometimes works for him: cue word flash cards.

Let me explain a bit-- we have to work up to a flash card. My son loves M&Ms, so to get the concept of more going, I give him a couple, then I sign/say "more" and give him more. The next step was to get him to say more and give him more. This was just to get the concept of "more" in. Next I added a card with "more" written on it. We started with legos (it was a different day), I gave him 3, then I showed him the card and said here are 5 more... now how many do we have. We did this a few times to model, then I let him ask for more. Finally he got to build the lego set. The next time around I wrote numbers on papers and put a plus sign on the back of the "more." Eventually he was able to connect that when you see "more" or "more than" you add. He's awesome with straight math, so as soon as he made that connection he was able to fly through word problems with that cue word. By the end of last year we had cue cards for more, less than, sum, product, equal groups, total, and difference. He kept the cards in a folder, and if he couldn't figure out how to solve the problem, he could pull out the card.

This is what worked for my son, but it didn't work for my nephew who is lower functioning autistic. The spectrum is wide and what works for some doesn't work for everyone, but it's worth a try! You can probably skip through a lot of the steps if your son does not have as much trouble with language.

Hope this helps!