Kinda New Here - Child with ADHD (focusing problem)
    busymominvirginia is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Kinda New Here - Child with ADHD (focusing problem)

Hi,

We found Time4learning online and used it as a supplement last year for my second grade daughter. She loved the animated program. She studied almost every lesson in first and second grade since last year and during summer. Her reading has improved greatly and she used Time4learning for fun instead of watching TV.

Now that she is in third grade Time4leaning is no longer cute and fun she had to do a great deal of reading and math is hard. So far we’ve been using Time4learning as our homeschool curriculum. We are getting frustrated with math; I found the first lessons to be very hard so I struggle to explain new concepts to her. Sometimes we start from the last lesson in a chapter then work our way to the first. Is anyone experiencing this?

Julia struggled in public school for first grade and second grade. I fought to put her in a special ed program but even in the program she was behind and the teachers getting frustrated with her lack of focus and not doing her work. She takes no medicine and we want to keep it that way as long as we can.

Thank you

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Kinda New Here - Child with ADHD (focusing problem)

Hi There,

First of all, you're doing a good job. I've found that homeschooling goes through these spurts. I found this happened with my second child. I am going to share some tips, but please let me know if you've tried this and hopefully someone else can chime in. (warm smile)

I did EXACTLY what you did and start by going back by one lesson. If that didn't seem to help then I see if this topic is covered one full grade level earlier. If it is we go back and do all those lessons. If it's a bit easy at first, that's okay, because it builds their confidence. If it wasn't covered the year before then I sit with them through that whole section of math and work with them. A tool that I just adore is my handy dandy individual sized white lap board. I will stop and work with them, using the board. I also add math facts to our math as it helps concepts come easier when they don't have to stop and think that through. (though I'm not sure that your child is working on facts?)

I hope this helped,
    Mary
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

busymominvirginia is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Kinda New Here - Child with ADHD (focusing problem)

Thank you Mary,

Going back one full grade was a good idea - why didn't I think of that before!!
    They have an easier lesson on rounding numbers.
    I will do the same before we dive into multiplication and division.

What is a white lap board?