LOng Division & Dyscalculia
    adria2328 is offline Senior Member

Default LOng Division & Dyscalculia

My DD 12 has Dyscalculia and does her long division problems the *real long way. Instead of using multiplication she adds up the divisor until she gets as close as possible then subtracts them for the remainder. It takes a LONG time but she gets the answer. Soooo what do you think. Would you allow her to do the problems this way...even though it's not the short way????
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adria2328 View Post
    My DD 12 has Dyscalculia and does her long division problems the *real long way. Instead of using multiplication she adds up the divisor until she gets as close as possible then subtracts them for the remainder. It takes a LONG time but she gets the answer. Soooo what do you think. Would you allow her to do the problems this way...even though it's not the short way????
    Adria,

I believe that there is no one on this earth who knows that daughter of yours more than YOU and your husband. In our home we did not tackle long division until they mastered multiplication. I tried to pursue long division with my oldest but I found that he was becoming frustrated and hating math and feeling "stupid" (his word) that it was taking him so long. We put it away and worked, worked, worked on times tables.

However, I believe every child is different and so this may be perfect for "us" but not good for you at all. My thought is to try it and see. I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas and New Year!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/