AnnaW is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Looking for feedback on how this has worked for children on Autism Spectrum

Hi,

I'm new to homeschool, but after several issues with the public school and my special needs chikdre children, feel it would be in their best interest.

I know the curriculum is provided, and I'm sure they could handle most of it, however, I was wondering how it has been handled by others moving from a public school IEP type setting to home.

I apologize if this is a repeat question already posted.

Robin is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Looking for feedback on how this has worked for children on Autism Spectrum

My students didn't have IEP, but I imagine it would be easy to modify in your own home. If your student needs more time, you can give it. If he needs to repeat lessons, you can do that. Skipping lessons is easy. Reading for your student is also up to you. My children have found much success using Time4Learning over the years.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for feedback on how this has worked for children on Autism Spectrum

In my state, parents have the option of making their own plan (PDP - Privately Developed Plan) or of having the school develop an IEP, but the school's IEP must indicate that the student would be best served by homeschooling, so most families use a PDP. To prepare a PDP in Oregon, you only have to partner with one or more people familiar with your child and write it yourself. It's super easy to homeschool a child with special needs in Oregon.

Each state will have its own homeschool laws and most of them at least briefly address homeschooling a student with special needs. A good place to find your state's homeschool laws is your state's Department of Education website.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

RhondaL is offline Junior Member

I live in GA and have been using T4L for my autistic son for 4 years. We did not move from a public school setting or have an IEP, but I haven't needed one. I can work one on one with my kiddo. He has progressed by leaps and bounds since starting the program. I do a lot of the reading for him, but over the past year he has started doing more on his own. The lessons are engaging and he enjoys doing them. He can work at his own pace and the program covers all required courses for the state. He has also excelled with the testing required by the state every 3 years (he's now in 7th grade so he's tested twice). If you need information on the testing site I use, let me know, I would be happy to provide it. Without T4L my son wouldn't be where he is educational wise. It saved both of us from much heartache and daily meltdowns.