Looking for feedback on how this has worked for children on Autism Spectrum
" "
    Junior Member Newbie

Default Looking for feedback on how this has worked for children on Autism Spectrum

Hi,

I'm new to homeschool, but after several issues with the public school and my special needs chikdre children, feel it would be in their best interest.

I know the curriculum is provided, and I'm sure they could handle most of it, however, I was wondering how it has been handled by others moving from a public school IEP type setting to home.

I apologize if this is a repeat question already posted.

Default Re: Looking for feedback on how this has worked for children on Autism Spectrum

My students didn't have IEP, but I imagine it would be easy to modify in your own home. If your student needs more time, you can give it. If he needs to repeat lessons, you can do that. Skipping lessons is easy. Reading for your student is also up to you. My children have found much success using Time4Learning over the years.

Administrator hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for feedback on how this has worked for children on Autism Spectrum

In my state, parents have the option of making their own plan (PDP - Privately Developed Plan) or of having the school develop an IEP, but the school's IEP must indicate that the student would be best served by homeschooling, so most families use a PDP. To prepare a PDP in Oregon, you only have to partner with one or more people familiar with your child and write it yourself. It's super easy to homeschool a child with special needs in Oregon.

Each state will have its own homeschool laws and most of them at least briefly address homeschooling a student with special needs. A good place to find your state's homeschool laws is your state's Department of Education website.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!