Lots of questions!! New
    wnzpedersen is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Lots of questions!! New

Hello everyone. I am very new to time 4 learning so I will introduce myself first! I have a 5 year old son who has autism and is currently in public school for a half day as well as private therapy. We also do a lot of school/therapy work at home the rest of the time. I came across time 4 learning and thought this might be something that my son would enjoy as well as somewhere he might be able to learn from so here we are. I have also been considering home schooling him full time due to a few issues at the public schools and I can not afford to put him in a private school for autism at $20,000+ a year.
    We were in my sons lessons and I notice there is a spot for assignments but was unable to figure out how to use this section does anyone know how? Can we set up assingments that need to be completed before entering the playground area? One more thing please tell me if time 4 learning has really made a difference with anyone who has special needs?
    Thank You

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, and welcome!

The Assignments function is only used in schools.

Be sure and read the Hints. They're a great help in getting started.

The information at the bottom of your student's login page is good, too:

One of the best ways to get started is to give it a try. We can write about how Time4Learning works or create different demos of Time4Learning but frankly, you will learn more, faster by just logging in and starting to use it. Time4Learning is surprisingly simple to use.

To start, login as a child and you’ll see a series of subjects to pick. You pick what subject to start with and click on that icon (many parents do one language arts and one math exercise every day). Then you’ll see chapter icons . The blinking yellow arrow will show you which folder and lesson to start with. After completing a learning activity, the arrow will advance pointing you towards the next one.

If you want a little more orientation before starting, look at the online hints. Also, the hints are good to look at after a few weeks to more fully understand the features. The hints section includes useful info such as how assignments work and how to get started.

You can either assign your student a certain amount of time to work before going to the Playground, or assign a certain number of lesson activities. Time4Learning provides a lesson timer at the lower levels.

If you choose to assign a specific number of lesson activities, look at the lesson plans. You can divide the number of lesson activities in a subject by the number of days in your school year to get an idea of how much your student needs to do each day in order to finish during the school year. To access the lesson plans, log in as a parent and click on Time4Learning Lesson Plans under the"Additional Resources" heading at the bottom of the page.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Lucia von Narnia is offline Junior Member Newbie

It sounds like Hearthstone answered the technical questions, but I wanted to tell you that as a mother of a boy with Asperger's, this program was very helpful for us. My son is now back in school, but he still asks to do his Time4Learning lessons. If you have a visual learner on the autism spectrum, it might be very good for you. When homeschooling, and even when my kids are in school, like now, I still do a lot of hands-on, out of the box learning, literature reading, books on tape, non-worksheet stuff. My Asperger's child is the youngest of a bunch, and was left out of a lot of the stuff I typically do. Due to auditory processing problems he can't "hang with" our advanced conversations, word play, or books on tape, or the literature I so love to read aloud. I was very frustrated, and so was he. Time4Learning lessons really helped him learn, and feel like he was learning. He liked the order of it all, liked knowing when his lessons would be during the day, he liked his level of control -- which lessons he felt like doing first. He learns so well through this method.
    I now do special reading time with great illustrations just for him. I let him build models and take apart electronics instead of drawing. He does moasics instead of painting. He loves to type and learn his lessons over the computer and he loves the order of Time4Learning. Hope this helped.