My DD12 is being tested..............
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    adria2328 is offline Senior Member

Default My DD12 is being tested..............

We are having my daughter tested for learning disabilities caused by her Epilepsy, and hope to find some ways to help her. I have had her out of PS school since 11/08 when we began here. I have gone back and forth at one time stopping our "membership". We have come back mainly for the simple fact that so many here have shown me this can actually work. Mary, Jess, and Kelly bring me great strength in knowing I CAN do this, but like Mary says "Together we are better". So I need help today and some encouragement. We are lost souls in this home when it comes to my DD. I feel like we have tried everything, I feel like I have been doing my best and hubby thinks we are failing her. He htinks we need to push harder. How can she work a new state of the art cell phone in less than 2 days with no instruction booklet and not spell the word does correctly at age 12??!! This is what we deal with. Daily. I struggle. Daily. I want to be proud of her. I am tired of just being frustrated with her. It plain sucks. OK thanks for letting me get out.

Now for my question. For those with a child with handwriting dysgraphia how do you have your kids do the lessons. We always had DD take notes. Now she has been told to type everything. Do you just have them open wordpad and type notes while reading or do you do something else?

Also are there any parents here that can give me tips on teaching a child with dyslexia?? Even with no testing done yet after reading all I have I am about 99% sure this is her issue. Thanks!
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

First, I wish I was there w/ you so I could give you a big HUG. So here is a {{BIG CYBER HUG}}
    You are doing a great job, Momma! Keep up the good work.

Second I don't have a child who has the handwriting dysgraphia but my son shows many signs of having dyslexia. But we don't have the funds to have him tested. W/ that being said. I work for a family that the father is severely dyslexic and will never read. They also have two sons, one who is 22 and the other who is 14; both are dyslexic. The 22 year old was sent to a school for dyslexics and was able to show some tricks to his younger brother and to my son.
    The main thing he showed my son was to.

Do everything in threes.
    Like a spelling word, lets use dog.
    1st you say d o g
    2nd you write d o g and say it while you write it.
    3rd you do something w/ the word d o g, like make it w/ playdough or paint it and say it while you do this activity.

Does that make since?

I hope others come and share some ideas w/ you.

I will be praying for your family and your daughter.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

Thank you SO much Brandy!! We will try this!!
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Oh Adria,

I am SO glad you're back! I love having you here. Please know that you are doing a GREAT job and so is your daughter. She cannot help that her brain will not process appropriately, but the difference is that she doesn't know what that's supposed to look like. She only knows what she knows. But we mama's do and it makes us feel scared. That fear comes out in frustration. I know this well. (((Big Understanding Hugs)))

I cannot help with dyslexia or handwriting dysgraphia, but I do have a child who has seizures and it causes everything to slow down. Our therapist told me it's because his neurons get crossed and the brain becomes disorganized. It no longer remembers how to retrieve information.

Here are some things that have helped that my holistic doctor has helped us with:

Outside in the sunshine helps to raise the Vitamin D and seretonin levels in the brain. Even 15 minutes a day with no sunglasses.

Arctic Cod Liver Oil is very good for the brain. We mix ours in Cranberry juice or juicy juice. Recently I've started making protein shakes for the boys and add it in there.

Vision Therapy helps the eye tracking, but I'm not sure if this helps dyslexia? You could ask for sure.

A good resource would be Dianne Craft or Little Giant Steps. Both places offer consultations.

Also, I hold fast to scripture as it helps me keep me eyes on the goal. When I begin to worry about their future..., "For I know the plans I have for your children Mary. Plans to prosper them and not to harm them. Plans to give them a HOPE and a FUTURE"! Jeremiah 29:11

One last thought I have is to encourage reading aloud. Our children gain so many good eye tracking skills, listening skills, comprehension when we read a loud to them. Another option which is easier on mom (said with a big knowing grin) is Audible.com.

I'm so glad you're here. I think you are a GREAT mom and you're just tired. Rightfully so. I pray your cup is filled tonight to overflowing. (((Big Hugs)))
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strouse House View Post
    First, I wish I was there w/ you so I could give you a big HUG. So here is a {{BIG CYBER HUG}}
    You are doing a great job, Momma! Keep up the good work. .
    What a SWEET encouraging e-mail!!!! I love this board;-)
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Thanks SO much Mary!!!!! :*)
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adria2328 View Post
    Thanks SO much Mary!!!!! :*)
    You are SO welcome my friend. I've been thinking of you this weekend and praying that the Lord would flood your heart with His perfect peace! When do you guys officially start?

We will begin August 23rd.... I think! lol I am hoping I have some test results back by then. I am also going to try some OTC meds my friend has her dyslexic son on to see if they help. The saw improvement in 24-48 hours so its worth a shot. They are nothing more than mere vertigo meds, fish oil, and memory "helpers". lol I know you mentioned fish oil...but cod liver right? Wonder what the difference is?? I am excited to begin....... Oh and one more thing. I am also making it a point this year to sit with the kids as they work at times. I started to feel disconnected last year and I need to actually see what they are doing. I almost went the full text/workbook route but I am glad we didn't. I like the classical approach by WTM because its lists of EXACTLY what to do and I am a Type A so I LOVE lists and order. But I am trying to let go of that. Matter of fact I might just sell the book. I keep going back to it and making myself NUTS!!!! lol
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adria2328 View Post
    We will begin August 23rd.... I think! lol I am hoping I have some test results back by then. I am also going to try some OTC meds my friend has her dyslexic son on to see if they help. The saw improvement in 24-48 hours so its worth a shot. They are nothing more than mere vertigo meds, fish oil, and memory "helpers". lol I know you mentioned fish oil...but cod liver right? Wonder what the difference is?? I am excited to begin....... Oh and one more thing. I am also making it a point this year to sit with the kids as they work at times. I started to feel disconnected last year and I need to actually see what they are doing. I almost went the full text/workbook route but I am glad we didn't. I like the classical approach by WTM because its lists of EXACTLY what to do and I am a Type A so I LOVE lists and order. But I am trying to let go of that. Matter of fact I might just sell the book. I keep going back to it and making myself NUTS!!!! lol
    So your start day is not too far away. I love the beginning of a new school year. Actually, I love almost every part of a school year. I start to get ready for my break by the end of March

I don't know what the difference between cod liver oil and fish oil is, so I would try the fish oil and if it works, don't give the cod liver a second thought If you find it's not working it would be worth a shot.

I laughed when I read your post about WTM. I know EXACTLY what you mean. Did you see the blog post I wrote last week? (smile) It goes perfectly with this and I have another one coming out this Tuesday that I will share over on Other Discussions. Adria, I would LOVE to know your personality type. Here is last weeks BLOG POST which includes the free online test.

Also, there is a post over on "Homeschool Questions" where I shared this exact thing. I was feeling disconnected and didn't like that? You might be mentioning this because you already saw it, but just incase I am listing it here: Home School Questions Forum Post

Adria, I certainly don't have all the answers, but I'm processing with you. These are the things I've found to be true for us, in our home. Have a wonderful rest of your Sunday!

Holy Mackerel that test is soooo right! I am an ESFJ.......I just printed my explnation for hubby to read. WEIRD!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Mary!
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast