My first little special learner is graduating tonight!
    MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default My first little special learner is graduating tonight!

Please Note: I meant to say, "My first little special learner is graduating in the morning!" Tonight's just rehearsal.

Even as I type this out to you there are tears flowing down my cheeks. It seems not so long ago when I couldn't get my Brandon to read. He was 11 years old and could not get past decoding. I would watch him work so hard and get so frustrated. He would say things like, "I HATE READING". I would think I had failed him. I would watch him struggle through math and think I must be doing something wrong because I thought school would be FUN simply because we homeschooled.

I am so thankful that God put an older, wiser, mentor in my life who encouraged me to homeschool to my children's strength's and not to their weaknesses. I am so thankful that in those moments when I felt hopeless, God would faithfully come in and remind me of Jeremiah 29:11: (paraphrased and personalized)

"Mary, stop worrying about Brandon. I have already put together his life. Before He was ever born I wrote his complete life story and if he gets off track "I'LL" be there to get him back where he needs go. I promise you this, "My" plans will prosper him, NOT harm him. My plans give him a HOPE and a FUTURE!"

Homeschooling a child with special needs is the best thing I've ever done with my life. Tomorrow as I walk up on that stage with my husband to present my sons diploma It's not going to be the hours of academics we've invested over the years, OR the hours upon hours of therapies we've done, OR even that A+'s he made that I'll remember.

My memories will be the things we did together that we both had fun doing, mistakes and all:

I'll remember: The paper mache' volcano and made it explode with baking soda and vinegar.

I'll remember: Snuggling and reading, "Follow The Drinking Gourd" and his innocent 7 year old eyes looking up at me in complete confusion as he asked about slavery.

I'll remember: Sitting at the midnight showing of ALL, "The Lord Of The Rings"
    premieres, laughing, cutting up and having FUN before the movie ever began.

I'll remember: The long talks we've had about life. His first crush, his first hearbreak, his first disappointment, his first betrayal, etc...,

I'll remember: Being a part of all his "AHA" moments!

"For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." Ephesians 2:10
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

mcmary is offline Member

Mary, that's just wonderful that you son is graduating. What a great education he's had and what wonderful memories! Do you mind sharing your "success secrets" regarding teaching him to read? Maybe you already have on a different post or on you blog? I appreciate the information that you've shared regarding auditory processing. Take care!

Mary