My husband thinks we should homeschool all day during the week???
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By denimay

Thread: My husband thinks we should homeschool all day during the week???

crickbrie is offline Member

Default My husband thinks we should homeschool all day during the week???

Do you homeschool all day every weekday? My husband just informed me he thinks our daughter should be up bright and early in her chair ready to learn every weekday. Apparenly, just like in school. He says we take too many days off and just have fun???? What's the point of being homeschooled and learning if you are not having fun. Our week: Monday - a regular school day for us (T4L, about 3 hours starting around 9/10), Tuesday - Homeschool Support Group where we have P.E. and socialize from 9:30 - 11:30 (sometimes later) then off to Occupational Therapy for an hour, Wednesday - regular school day for us, Thursday - Arizona's Museum of Natural History (long drive for us so from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm), Friday - Pooped out and just need extra time to get started, in which my husband calls and wants to know why we are not doing school and daughter is playing with dinos and listening to T.V. Should I be more strick and teach her the way she wasn't learning in school just to appease my husband. Yes, she was 1st grade level when I took her out of 3rd grade, but she has improved greatly since then. Even my husband agrees with this, but appareanly he thinks it's not enough. Any suggestions or advice. Maybe I am too easy going.
    Christy

mcmary is offline Member

Hi Crickbie,

I've met all sorts of "types" of homeschoolers in terms of hours, structure, style etc. I think the important thing to pay attention to is your child and what she needs. The fact that you've seen gains is great. My daughter is in 7th grade and does language arts and social studies T4L, which take less than an hour per day combined (most days). She spends about 45 minutes to an hour on math (with her grandfather who used to teach math). She also reads independently for at least 30 minutes per day. She reads, processes information, and writes more slowly than her typical peers so working independently on her workbooks takes up the largest portion of her days- sometime several hours. I found some remediated science, health, grammar/reading/language arts workbooks that are grade-level in terms of the content but written in a simpler format/style than typical seventh grade material. As a result she is able to work independently on these- providing an opportunity to be an independent learner and best of all, the opportunity to write. In general she writes all of her answers in full sentences and is required to write paragraphs, read/interpret charts, do critical thinking etc. You can check out the remedia website if you are interested. My daughter also takes lots of enrichment classes and drama/choir in our community. It sounds as if you have a great "program" set up. T4L is based on state standards, so if she's satisfactorily (sp?) completing her core classes then I wouldn't worry too much!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

A while back, I wrote How Long is a Homeschool Day? Maybe it will help.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

crickbrie is offline Member

Thank you for the replies. I always feel so much better when I get some feedback. This has not been an easy journey but one very much worth while for the future of my daughter
    Christy

pamir is offline Junior Member

My thought? Next time he has say 2-3 days off tell him YOU are taking vacation and he gets to be teacher, mother, friend, maid, driver, drycleaner, nurse, grounds keeper etc etc. Lets see how early he is up and how long he works LOL

denimay is offline Senior Member

I've taught a lot of years in public school and MY suggestion would be for him to take a day and go sit in a classroom. He needs to take a watch or stopwatch and a note book and keep track of all time that falls by the wayside. He should also keep track of the time spent actually LEARNING. So much time is spent getting kids to be quiet, passing out papers or other materials and collecting same. Time is spent lining up for recess or lunch or bathroom breaks; putting things away and cleaning up/getting things out to transition from one subject to another. Kids generally go to school for about 6hrs/day but I think that often the actual "LEARNING TIME" is less than 1/2 of that. The other thing you might try is a little 'daily learning report.' This should be low key and fun; perhaps delivered over dinner. You and your daughter can 'review' all of the things you did that day (including going to the grocery store or cleaning the house) and which things you 'learned' and/or experienced. Finally, try to gently encourage your husband to embrace the idea that learning does not have to be drudgery or done at a desk....it can be fun/interesting and done anywhere! deni.....
    teresabutler89 likes this.
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

VMISSIO is offline Junior Member

if he is worrying that she isnt spending enough time he should sit in one day. i have 2 that i am doing one 6th an one 2nd. my daughter in 2nd can do a ton of lessons in less than 2 hrs because she goes steadily an she likes it lol. she actually finished ss an science all of the lessons in 4 days that t4l offers. now my son is different he is slower an lazier so he doesnt do as many during that 2 hrs. in ga we are required at least 4 an 1/2 hrs on school days so i think as long as u are sticking with ur state standards an u feel she is learning an progressing it doesnt matter if u are taking time off. the way i look at it is they are learning everyday from everything around them good luck!

naptastik is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thumbs up i thought i wrote this thread

weird. i glanced at the forum and saw this title and thought to myself "did i write this? certainly i'd remember writing this." in other words- i go through the same thing. my son does SO much better with this curriculum than his previous one. he enjoys it and it's on the computer. there MUST be "Something wrong" with it. lol

yay for time4learning!!!