New to forum - have a child with autism
    janylaw is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to forum - have a child with autism

Hi,

I'm new to T4L - doing the 14 day trial. My son has autism, but is pretty high functioning. I'm also new to home schooling having suffered with my son's home district for the last 6 years. After losing a battle to have my son retained, I decided to home school him rather than send him on to middle school and I know he's not ready. Wondering if there are any other parents with children with autism, if so - how is your child doing? Also, can you concentrate on a few subjects? Can your child also move forward if he makes the necessary progress?

In regard to the forum - is this a pretty active group? Anybody in the state of WA? Anyway - I do hope that my son likes this one. I'm anxious to get started. Plan on augmenting this with his weekly violin/piano lessons and soccer practice. Anyway, I do hope this works and I'm looking forward to checking in here often.

Janice

ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: New to forum - have a child with autism

Hi Janice. Welcome. I got ur message but I am on my phone. Hopefully our computer is fixed sooon so I can send u a message baack. My phone doesn't seem to wanna cooperate today. @ work so can't chat but wanted to welcome u.
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

timmysmom is offline Member

Hello Janice,

We also were thrust into homeschooling when our school district also did not want to help us meet our little guys' needs. He is 8 y/o and high functioning autistic.

My son does well with this program and it allows us flexibility that we need that we really did not have when he was in ps.

The parents on this board are wonderful and are usually around to answer questions.

I do not schedule a lot and just allow learning to happen. I use t4l as our core and supplement with other stuff. It is working for us so far and has really help my ds to follow what really interests him. He seems more well rounded and social now that he can learn on his own terms.

We school year round, with the new school year starting when the neighborhood kids start. We advance him by "grade" so that there is no confusion on his part when people ask him what grade he is in. I am a big believer in quality over quantity. I don't have any problem spending all the time he needs on something to make sure he gets it. With that said, I have him working on several different grade levels depending on subject and interest on his part.

Good luck to you. Let us know how you and your son are doing!
    Sandra
    Mom to Mo, Chet and the Tim-inator!!!

Preschool worksheets
    Worksheets created by my cousin for preschoolers!!

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Hi, Janice. Welcome to T4L!

How old is your child with autism? I'm guessing around 10 or so? I am thinking that Amber's son is somewhere in that age range, or maybe older?Hopefully she'll be able to get back to you soon so you can see if you have more in common. I know she lives in WA and so do we!

Our son (who also has autism) is doing the PreK program on T4L. Our daughters are older (2nd and 4th grade) and have been doing T4L for a year. It is a self-paced program. There is an arrow that points to the lesson the child leaves off on so that he knows where to start up the next day. If you want him to skip ahead, he can. All of his lessons are accessible. If he has uneven abilities in different subjects, he could try out 4th grade reading, 6th grade math, and 5th grade science and social studies, or whatever you choose, using the links at the top right of his screen. If you want to skip him ahead to a different year more permanantly, you can just email the request and they'll adjust it for you.

This board isn't as fast-paced as some you may have visited in the past, but it is filled with kind, supportive people. They are at all stages in tehir homeschooling journey and have children with a range of needs and abilities.
    Melissa.

Thank you everyone for getting back to me. I got some great suggestions - I hadn't even thought about year round school, but will definitely do that. Breaks have always been more trouble than they were worth as far as I'm concerned, so it will be good to have a valid reason to just continue to go to school. I don't think that Morgan will balk at the idea as long as it is part of his routine. It also takes the pressure off to spend a lot of time each day so will definitely be going for quality over quantity. I will also see where he is in each subject and go back if he needs a longer review. I am definitely psyched about introducing science and social studies to him as those 2 subjects were never introduced in our bricks and mortar school.

Thanks again to everyone. Looked into the Switched on School House curriculum and it looks like too many words and very little to engage my son. So unless something astounding comes along, I will be a Time4Learning parent. Looking forward to chatting with you all. I hope also to meet Amber and her son as we seem to be pretty close to one another.

Janice

Once again - thanks to everyone for your comments. I am positive I posted a reply - but it wasn't there later. And I was so eloquent! I got some great suggestions - I will go with the year round schedule. My son has always had a problem with breaks anyway and this gives me a reason to continue through the traditional breaks. I will also let hime study at whatever level he is most comfortable - that's a good thing as well. Finally, I'm looking forward to meeting other parents on line and maybe in person. I've looked for other programs, but think that I will be sticking with Time4learning. Look forward to seeing you guys here again. Hopefully this post will work.

Janice

timmysmom is offline Member

Janice,

Your other post did show up!

I have heard other people have the same concerns about Switched on Schoolhouse. That being said, there is nothing to stop you from using part of the sos program if you think your son will benefit from it.

The beauty of home schooling is that we learn more about our kids and how they learn and we learn right along with them! If you find that something is not working, take it out. Nothing broken, not a failure, just a new thing you learned!

eta: my son does whine about the LA part because he thinks it is too easy (second grade). But, I want him to finish the level he is on because there were "holes" in what he knew and I want to make sure all the "holes" are filled before we move on. Point being, he might argue with some, and you might have to "make a deal" to get him to do the stuff he doesn't like (but is learning from) and save the stuff he does like as a reward! Not every argument is a reason to change your homeschooling program. You still are the teacher!
    Sandra
    Mom to Mo, Chet and the Tim-inator!!!

Preschool worksheets
    Worksheets created by my cousin for preschoolers!!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Janice,

Welcome You've definitely come to the right place. I'm so glad you're here.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

chapswife is offline Junior Member Newbie

Welcome!!! My son is 11 and has Asperger's or high functioning autism and does very well with T4L. I started the school year with letting him pick out what he wanted to do do each day, but at the end of each and every lesson he would aske me if he was done for the day and we were both getting frustrated. I decided to write down his lessons for the next and he was so much more content.....he knew exactly what was expected of him etc. My son is in 5th grade, but is doing 4th grade work in everything except LA Extensions......he is doing 3rd grade in that. I told him from the start that we were going to have to go backwards to move forwards....there are SO many holes that needs to be filled in from what he didn't get in the public school. Micah usally works for about an hour and then gets a 20 minute break and I have told him that he can get up and walk around at anytime if he feels the need. He usually keeps a "comfort" item with him at the table (a blanket, Webkinz etc) and that has seemed to help him as well.....he can rub his silky and that helps his need to constantly be moving.

Enoy being with your son and learning right along with him!!!!
    Military Wife
    Mom of 4 amazing kids
    (homeschooling one of them)
    and a daughter of the King!!!!!