New here!

Thread: New here!

corywingate is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New here!

Hey, I just started with Time4learning. I'm homeschooling my 12 yearold son with Turrets Syndrome, and my 5 yearold son with speech problems and ADHD.
    I have had trouble for years trying to find a curriculum that wasn't so much like "work" for the 12 year old. He gets frustrated and cries. Once the tears start, it's all down hill from there. He loves to read, and has no problem with any subject other than Math. He has a mental block when it comes to math. He cries just to bring it up. I can't get him past learning multiplication. He can't learn anything else past that if he can't learn that. It's like a block with his memory when it comes to the numbers. Today was his first day and he loved the literature classes...but the math I had to start him out on a 5th grade level just so he wouldn't have panicked.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Thanks for introducing yourself!

Math is a toughie for a lot of kids. Start him wherever he needs to begin. Don't get bogged down on the "grade level". I prefer my children to go at their own pace and truly learn the math concepts instead of speeding ahead and getting a lot of work "checked off" . . . but not actually understanding what they're doing. I often suggest that parents start their children below what they think they might actually be capable of doing. This is a stress-free way of learning the ins and outs of a new curriculum. You can advance a level whenever you or your son feels ready.

You are right about multiplication being a stumbling block. Once, years ago, I stopped all math study with two of my children and we worked on JUST their times tables for several weeks. If they don't have those memorized, mutli-digit multiplication, fractions, and division are just GRUELING to get through.

My kids love Timez Attack for multiplication drill. The basic version is free. We used the free version for awhile and then ended up paying so we could have additional levels and "bosses". I mention this game because it sounds like something that might benefit your older boy. My kids DID learn their times tables using this. I wish it had been around when my older kids needed it.

The language arts program IS wonderful, isn't it?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

witchly is offline Senior Member Guru

My son STILL struggles with multiplication facts, but he can do all sorts of other math, even in his head. It's very odd to me.

We do 3 minutes a day with this free multiplication program and it does seem to be helping him (slowly) remember more of those facts
    http://kidwaresoftware.com/ttable.htm

I have continued to move onto other math though rather than just staying on multiplication. We have a multiplication chart out that he can use if he is unsure or doesn't know a fact, and I also allow him to use a calculator on many things.

He is able to get the concepts we are learning even though he hasn't mastered those multiplication facts just yet. It is much less frustrating to him being able to have those tools to help him along the way. I am determined he will eventually learn all those facts though.
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif

corywingate is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thankyou for all your replies. Witchly, I'm going to try this site and I'll let you know how it went. Kelly, I ordered the full game of Timez Attack and he cries when I make him play. Any kind of games that has to do with multiplication he acts like I'm trying to sneak in the back door with a trick.

witchly is offline Senior Member Guru

It's tough when they are older and really want to get something but just don't for whatever reason. My son is a bit of a perfectionist and gets really upset at himself over things. He is better than he used to be, but it's something we constantly monitor with him.

Maybe something more direct link the program link I gave would suit him better only because it's not trying to be sneaky or anything, it just is what it is. Set a short time period for him to do and just do it daily.

My son got a 100% the other day after all this time and was thrilled with himself. We made a little spreadsheet (he is learning Microsoft Office Excel also) to keep track of his daily scores, number correct, etc.

Hang in there.
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by corywingate
    Kelly, I ordered the full game of Timez Attack and he cries when I make him play.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!