New here and worried about the future! * Help*
    tnajk is offline Junior Member

Default New here and worried about the future! * Help*

Our son is special needs and we are currently in a Virtual Academy program through our State. He is failing miserably and I decided to give T4L a try. It looks perfect for him! His abilities are all over the place so this program will meet those needs nicely. (He's 11, supposed to be in 6th grade but working around the 4th grade level)

I'm concerned and worried about the future. I mean, what do you do with your children when they've completed this program? The fact that it only goes through 8th grade is looming over my head. What have you done or what do you plan to do at that point?

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tnajk View Post
    Our son is special needs and we are currently in a Virtual Academy program through our State. He is failing miserably and I decided to give T4L a try. It looks perfect for him! His abilities are all over the place so this program will meet those needs nicely. (He's 11, supposed to be in 6th grade but working around the 4th grade level)

I'm concerned and worried about the future. I mean, what do you do with your children when they've completed this program? The fact that it only goes through 8th grade is looming over my head. What have you done or what do you plan to do at that point?
    Hello and WELCOME! I am so glad you're here. I hear your heart and understand your question well. I am completing my 12th year of home education and have loved every single second. Little did I know when we started back in 1998 that three of my four sons was going to have special needs. All three have had to learn to work with Central Auditory Processing Disorder and one has mild autism while another has A.D.D.

Here is what I would tell you..., Please don't worry about the future. You are going to see area's where your child is strong. I encourage you to pursue those strength's and passions and don't spend all your time trying to equip the weaknesses. (big mistake I made for the first 7 years of my homeschool) As you pursue your child's strength's you will find that your child's weaknesses become less noticeable. Their self esteem is strengthened.

As far as Time4Learning I wrote a blog post the other day that shares our success with Time4Learning. Teaching My Children Who Learn "Differently" To Read - Blogs - Parent Community and Forum

As far as what do we do after 8th grade. I am graduating my first little learner in less than a month. (sad sad face) My oldest son's strength's lie in strong people skills. He is planning to go onto technical school for multi-media. We just pursued his passions and kept plugging along at math and language arts. We also use Online Writing Courses for Kids in Elementary, Middle & High School

I hope that helps and offers you hope. Know this, you are going to do GREAT! Your love for your precious boy will take you further than anything else.

Mary
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

mcmary is offline Member

I completely understand your concerns about the future. I have felt the same way. My twelve year-old daughter has visual spatial and visual motor delays that significantly affect her learning. I try to stay focused on the gains that my daughter makes (she's had a lot of PT, OT, hippotherapy and educational therapy in addition to one-on-one learning intervention) and also remind myself that high school and colleges aren't like they used to be. A good program will allow accomodations (504 plans) for students with special learning needs. My daughter will always need some accomodations. For instance she's an auditory learner, so when she's older she will probably use recorders and books on tape. I will probably continue to support her too by reading out loud to her if needed.

Our daughter has found her niche (singing and drama) which we are thrilled about because we knew sports would not be her thing. She is emotionally happy, which is huge considering she's a middle schooler, and has made some neat friends.

I just found out about Time4Learning and am excited to sign up. Has it been successful for you so far? I'm interested in hearing from others with special needs. I tried to go to the blog Mary mentioned but it wouldn't open- I'll try again!

Mary

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mcmary View Post
    I completely understand your concerns about the future. I have felt the same way. My twelve year-old daughter has visual spatial and visual motor delays that significantly affect her learning. I try to stay focused on the gains that my daughter makes (she's had a lot of PT, OT, hippotherapy and educational therapy in addition to one-on-one learning intervention) and also remind myself that high school and colleges aren't like they used to be. A good program will allow accomodations (504 plans) for students with special learning needs. My daughter will always need some accomodations. For instance she's an auditory learner, so when she's older she will probably use recorders and books on tape. I will probably continue to support her too by reading out loud to her if needed.

Our daughter has found her niche (singing and drama) which we are thrilled about because we knew sports would not be her thing. She is emotionally happy, which is huge considering she's a middle schooler, and has made some neat friends.

I just found out about Time4Learning and am excited to sign up. Has it been successful for you so far? I'm interested in hearing from others with special needs. I tried to go to the blog Mary mentioned but it wouldn't open- I'll try again!

Mary
    Mary, I LOVE that you found her strength's and you are pursuing them! I just tried the blog links and they worked for me. Please let me know if you still cannot access them and I will report it to our technical team. (Big Warm Smile)
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/