new to home schooling my daughter with learning disability
    angelacox is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default new to home schooling my daughter with learning disability

need to know which home school program i should get to teach my daughter? any ideas or thoughts that anyone has tried or is using and loving it? my daughter is 10 and in fifth grade, just took her out of the public school system they were doing nothing for her. I do want to start on cirriculum. please let me know what has been working for you, my daughter is on the autism spectrum.

Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

I noticed you posted only the one post. I think it would of been answered a lot better and faster if it was posted in the state you were in.
    My suggestion to people who ask this question is to go to about.com and type homeschooling in the search bar. Then look at all the different methods of homeschooling there are. Different curriculum's fit differently in these methods. Some people love the kind your order that come prepicked in a box to your door. I do not. I like for my child and I to learn what we want when we want as long as our core subjects are being covered.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Angela, have you tried Time4Learning with your daughter? My daughter has Down syndrome, and Time4Learning is the only program that has worked so well for her! She loves the animated and interactive lessons. She is really enjoying learning and is progressing very well. The great thing about T4L is that she can repeat lessons as often as necessary. I sit with her and do the lessons with her when she is having trouble with a concept. And when she gets answers right or reaches a milestone, we celebrate with a little dance.

The second thing I would suggest is that you do a lot of reading with her. Read to good books to her that will hold her attention. And then take easier books and take turns reading with her....even if she can only read a few words....or even if she reads the same book over and over again. This builds confidence.

If you're already on Time4Learning, this is a link to the Help and Hints on using T4L.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

iwillow is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by lovehmschlg3 View Post
    Angela, have you tried Time4Learning with your daughter? My daughter has Down syndrome, and Time4Learning is the only program that has worked so well for her! She loves the animated and interactive lessons. She is really enjoying learning and is progressing very well. The great thing about T4L is that she can repeat lessons as often as necessary. I sit with her and do the lessons with her when she is having trouble with a concept. And when she gets answers right or reaches a milestone, we celebrate with a little dance.

The second thing I would suggest is that you do a lot of reading with her. Read to good books to her that will hold her attention. And then take easier books and take turns reading with her....even if she can only read a few words....or even if she reads the same book over and over again. This builds confidence.

If you're already on Time4Learning, this is a link to the Help and Hints on using T4L.

Time 4 Learning has been a Godsend for our DS son who, after six long years spent in the public school system, could neither write his name nor read a word, when I pulled him. Now, after much repetition and patience, along with a supplimental reading program called Click N Kids, he's not only reading (albeit at a first grade level) he's writing!

I have to admit to skipping over much of Time 4 Learning's Math, though. It's a bit too complicated for him, at times, which is of no real worry. With the help of a large, online, touchable, calculator he adds, subtracts, multiplies and divides with minimal (visual) assistance, near any problem presented to him. Okay, so I admit to having given up teaching him his multiplication tables and how and when to carry. But then, who doesn't use a calculator these days?