New to homeschooling daughter with autism
    momof3girls is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to homeschooling daughter with autism

Hi my name is Mary. I have three daughters 16,14 and 12. My youngest has autism (moderate). We just decided to homeshool her for a long list of reasons. We have been using t4l since Monday and it's been helping a great deal. I'm still trying to figure out how to set it to her learning abillites. It's getting better everyday.

Looking forward to learning and sharring with all of you.

Thanks,

Mary (mom of 3 girls)

ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: New to homeschooling daughter with autism

Welcome Mary. My son is also on the autism spectrum, high functioning. T4L has been great for him since we are able to work at whatever level he needs for any given subject. He is 11 sixth grade by public school standards but he is doing 3rd gr. laex, 4th gr. spelling,science and social studies and 5th gr math and La. Plus soon he will be doing some review in 4th gr. math (decimals) before he moves on in 5th gr. math. If you have any questions the people here are wonderful and non judgmental. You can ask anything plus they are great listeners if you are having any kind of problem. Again welcome.
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Hi, Mary! Welcome to T4L. I hope this program works well for your dd. Our son is doing T4L on the PreK level (he's 3) though he will soon be attending the program for kids w/ autism at our local public school. Computers are his main passion (if he's old enough to have one ) so we're going to continue with the T4L, maybe bumping him up to the next level for something different.
    Melissa.

momof3girls is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Melissa and Amber. I have had to use different levels, for Miranda as well. She is very visual. Her auditory is still poor but has improved a great deal in the last year. So when I found this program online I was excited. It gave me a boost of confidence that maybe I can homeschool her. She is in 7th grade and has been through so much. There has been so much lost time in her learning because of the stress and anxiety the school programs have caused her. She has been to six different schools since entering or school district. I mean how can they do this to a child. Our district could not help her so then we put here in a county autism program. This would have been her third year and each year has been at another location, I would commute her to. Two of the years there was no teacher just substitutes and the aides did most of the work. I can go on and on. I'm exhausted from fighting with them. I just want my little girl to have fun learning and they have taken this out of her learning evironment. She is so much happier knowing that she is doing her school work at home and not having to go to school. I see a change in her already.

Thank you for your support.
    Mary

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome Mary! I am So glad you're here I have three sons with CAPD and we LOVE T4L'ing. We use noise reducing headphones which really help my boys to process auditorily. Since you're just getting started I wanted to tell you about them You definitely don't need them, but they did help my children with learning differences gain more attention and time with their lessons.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/