New to homeschooling (October 2013) to my two middle schoolers
    Dianne76 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to homeschooling (October 2013) to my two middle schoolers

My name is Dianne and I am a mother of four, all of which have ADHD but my youngest isn't diagnosed. I resently started homeschooling my two middle children who are about 1 1/2 years apart and are in 7th and 8th grade. My daughter is an excellent writer and reader but she struggles with comprehension and mostly in math. We were thinking about looking into a 504 plan when she was in public school but were told it wasn't much help for math. My son is LD and had an IEP in public school. He is also Bi polar and has a lot of similar behaviors to Asberger diagnosed children. My question is, are their homeschool resources online or in Delaware for children who had an IEP in public school? I was considering homeschooling my youngest, she is 7 and in 1st grade. I have decided not to because she has an IEP and receives OT, PT, speech and extra help and I was told she would loose those resources if I homeschool her. If anyone has information about my concerns please let me know.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello, Dianne. I don't know about Delaware. Hopefully another parent from Delaware can chime in and answer your question. My best advice to you is to contact HSLDA Homeschool Legal Defense Association. They will give you the most accurate information for your needs and for your state.

We live in Florida. We've homeschooled our daughter since Kindergarten. As soon as we pulled her from school, we didn't deal with IEPs any longer. I do know that we can have access to therapies through our public school if we choose to do so. We choose not to since our insurance does cover therapies, and she's also on a Medicaid Waiver plan, which picks up what the insurance doesn't.

You don't say if your children are using Time4Learning. T4L has been a wonderful program for our daughter. We like that she's able to work at her own pace, and we have the flexibility to choose different grade levels for each subject. We're also able to repeat lessons as often as necessary. This is helpful for our daughter. I was thinking this may be helpful for your daughter with comprehension challenges. So Time4Learning is the best online resource that we have! We also do a lot of reading. If she's having trouble with a particular math concept, for example, I'll try to find other supplements or worksheets to do additional practice.

I hope I've been able to answer your question. Good luck to you.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass