New to program - ADHD - Summer Program
    SandraSto is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to program - ADHD - Summer Program

Hello Everyone!

I can not begin to tell you how excited I am about running across this site. My 12 yr old daughter received her report card in the mail yesterday. It wasn't a big shocker when we saw that she received an F in math. The school (private school) strongly suggested that she attend a summer school or an enrichment program over the summer. This threw me into a tail spin, where to go? what to do? how will I get her there? (My husband and I both work full-time and she is staying with my mother during the summer)
    To put in mildly, I was in a panic this morning!!!

My daughter is ADHD. She has struggled in school all of her life, but always sqeaked by with C's in Math. 6th grade was extremely hard for her. She started struggling in the fall being unable to keep up with the others. By Christmas, she was becoming overwhelmed. By Spring Break, she had completely given up. I had tutors come to my home to help her with preparing for the test once a week. This didn't seem to help. Her self-esteem had reached rock bottom.

I'm praying that T4L will be the boost that she needs to build her self-esteem back to where it should be for a 12 year old girl. She has great people skills, can spell anything, enjoys reading (however the comprehension is somewhat lacking), and other than school work, loves the life that God has given her.

One question I have is does anyone have a suggestion on preparing the lesson plans for a "summer school?"
    Sandra

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Sandra. Since your daughter has been in a traditional school and will be returning to traditional school, you might consider printing out the lesson plans. You can find them by logging in as a parent and then scrolling to the very bottom and clicking on the Lesson Plans Link. Have your child's teacher go over them and circle the areas where your daughter needs extra practice. These lesson activities can be accessed by inputting their numbers as explained in the Hints.

Another idea is to have your daughter take the test at the end of each chapter BEFORE doing the lessons in that chapter. Decide on a "passing" percentage (typically 80%, sometimes 70%). If she achieves a passing grade on the test, assume she has mastered the material in that chapter and allow her to proceed to the next chapter test without doing the lessons. This is a way to identify for yourself the areas in which she needs more practice.

No textbook or computer program can completely take the place of a tutor or teacher (especially with math, it seems). Time4Learning allows most students to be more independent learners than with a textbook, but you might see if your mother will be willing to sit with your daughter while she does her math lessons or at least be available to answer questions as they arise.

I do sit with all my children while they do math. Time4Learning is easier for me than a textbook because I don't have to teach the concept to them from scratch. I can just interject an occasional clarifying statement if they look puzzled! Sitting with them also gives ME the review that I need to be able to answer their questions easily . . . and the program grades their work for me.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

SandraSto is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you so much for the advice. I had not thought about letting her take the test before completing the lessons. That would weed out a lot of time with her going over things she already understands.

Last night I let her look and and complete one lesson. The look on her face warmed my heart. I could see that she was understanding what was being said and that she did not feel like she was under any pressure to have to answer something in class or go to the blackboard. Also there was no pressure in having to learn 3-4 lessons in one day. And then if she didn't understand it, she could go back over it without HAVING to move on the the next lesson.

I e-mailed my child's school this morning. Being a small private school, they do not have the funds for special needs classes or tutors. I suggested this website to the headmaster and the counselor. I'm sure there are many more students that could benefit from this program
    Sandra

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

That's great, Sandra! Many students learn more successfully when they are allowed to pace themselves and aren't under undue scrutiny. I really hope Time4Learning is the answer for your daughter, as it is for my own children.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

suenj is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi. Everyone has given great advice. One other suggestion I have is that if your daughter is finding one topic too hard, she can always go down one level just for that topic to be sure she has the basics before adding the more advanced work. For example, if she is doing level 6 and is having trouble with geometry she could go down to level 5 just for the geometry lessons, or even one sub-topic, like measuring angles.

Good luck!

Sue