new to T4L - how to breakdown subjects for child with LD
    Tamara Arroyo is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default new to T4L - how to breakdown subjects for child with LD

Hi I am new to T4L. I have a daughter with special needs and would like to know how I can break down these activities to give her the best education possible? I feel some of the workload for 5th grade is a little to intense. Please help.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: new to T4L - how to breakdown subjects for child with LD

Have you considered putting her down a level or more? She can work at different levels for each subject.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

My son is autistic and he works at three different grade levels. I love being able to do this for him. He is just starting the 6th grade by public school standards but I have him working on the 3rd gr. laex, plus the spelling in the 4th gr laex., he does 4th gr science and social studies and is still finishing up his math and language arts 5th gr. from last year which we didn't finish. We work at a slower pace then some of the others around here which is what homeschooling is all about. Working at your childs level and pace. Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Tamara,

I'm not sure what state you live in. Here in Florida we do not have to do a certain number of days of school or complete a certain amount of curriculum. We choose to school year round with a month break in the summer and time off occassionally when we need it. I do one lesson in Math/Lang Arts/Lang Ext per child in the morning and then we shoot do do that same routine again in the afternoon. When I insisted that they do 2-3 activities per subject I could tell that they were checking the boxes but not retaining information. So we do less and may not even finish a full year in a years time, but I'm okay with that as long as they are truly understanding what we are learning.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Thank-you to all that replied. I was beginning to feel overwhelmed. I am going to start as early as tommorow with the advice given to me by all. My 11 yr. old is going to be tested soon for autism. She has ADHD, OCD, and seizure disorder. Thank-you for the info on Florida, as I also live in Florida. I'll keep you posted on my daughters progress.

adria2328 is offline Senior Member

Tamara Welcome!!

My DD 1yr old also has ADHD, Epilepsy and was once going to be tested for Autism but I pulled the plug. We are currently doing the following

4 LA
    4 LAX
    7 MA (we normally do not get all these done for my DD has quite a MA block!)
    4 SC (again something we dont get to all the time, but we try to do one a week)
    States Notebook for SS

I am thinking of doing science and ss combined with my little ones by either watching a science or ss video, doing an experiment, or learning about certain people in history. I might even use the SS from level 5 as a base of what to do then just lower the learning for th little kids. We will continue the states notebook though.

Try not to worry much (says the lady who just posted the most pathetic post ever about worrying!) You will fall into a groove and by then you will be ready to change it up again! lol

good luck! keep us posted!
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Dear Tamara,

You are going to have a GREAT year. Florida is such a wonderful state to homeschool in. I just was curious if you happened to live in the Tampabay area? I'm the support group leader here and if you did I wanted to invite you to come to our monthly support group meetings
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

cindy4hope is offline Senior Member

I can relate to your childs epilepsy. I dealt with epilepsy from childhood to adulthood. I was on numerous medications, and fianlly ran out of meds to try so I had brain surgery a few years ago. But growing up with epilepsy was challenging at times, but it made me a very strong person. I wish you the very best in homeschooling I'm sure you will do a great job!

Cindy

I live in the St Lucie County area. Does any one know of any support groups in my area.
    I feel like I could use all the support I can get.Homeschooling is getting easier for both my children and my self.We are going to start doing alot more educational fied trips,not only are they alot of fun it also gives time out of the home, and meet other people.

momof4riley is offline Junior Member Newbie

My daughter is 16 and functions on a 4th- 5th grade level. I am about to enroll her in T4L since it seems to be a lot more fun and she will learn a lot more than the booklets we currently do.

I have 3 other children enrolled but I am frustrated with trying to find the right place for my oldest. Public school had her in Remedial classes until 5th grade and she tested out (with an IQ of 69) to be placed in traditional classroom setting. Her "grade level" was 5th grade, at the age of 12, but "her level" was 2nd and 3rd grade. This is the reason we pulled her out. She was going to have to go to 6th grade with never learning 3rd- 5th grade information. We felt they were just going to push her along and have her go through the motions but not learn anything.

I guess my question would be, I must enroll her in 8th grade but put her in 4th and 5th grade work? She will continue as an 8th grader for a while. We really focus on life skills and basic education. Getting her to do math is not so easy. She can add, subtract, multiply and divide.

Any ideas? I want her to be able to function as an adult in a couple of years, though I know she will probably remain at home.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.
    Single Homeschooling Mom of 4....
    Amber, 16
    Alex, 14
    Hanna, 12
    Hayden, 5