New user with Aspergers boy, 10 yrs old
    gingersnap is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New user with Aspergers boy, 10 yrs old

Hello, my name is Ginger Petrucci and I am the mother of an Aspergers child, age 10.

I enrolled my son in February, 2008. My son loves it! I wish I would have known about Time4Learning before!

He is an Aspergers Syndrome child, and a very smart boy (He scores around 96-99% on his achievement tests.) but you have to approach him with school work in a certain way or he zones you out. He had a bad experience in the public school system (his Kindergarten teacher hit him) and I eventually took him out in the beginning of first grade because he didn't trust them anymore. I started teaching him using abeka and it has worked well to a point but I knew he needed more in certain areas of study and Aspergers children are mostly visual learners. His psychologist suggested your system because she had 2 parents using it with their Aspergers children and they loved it.

I am a webmaster and have just created a new website called Aspergers Databases. I am trying to find out as much information as I can from other parents but in a database form to answer numerous questions about Aspergers; early diagnosis, teaching techniques, etc.
    The website address is: www.aspergersdata.com if anyone would like to visit the site. This site is new and I will be adding alot of other info in the near future as my knowledge expands on the subject of ASD. Right now I don't read anything new any where on the subject, that's why I created the website.

gingersnap

chemcindy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi ginger,

My son is 14 and he was somewhat diagnosed as Asperger's when he was about 11. The doctor's and school have gone back and forth on the dx, but I'm confident that that is the biggest problem that he has. We took him out of 7th grade last Nov. We have suffered since he started middle school in 6th. Elementary seemed to be able to accomodate him to some degree, but they just decided in middle school that he could behave better "if he wanted to". So much for understanding a kid's limits. He has said that the 6th grade teacher told the other kids it was ok to hit him.....I assume this was some sarcastic comment, but he takes it quite literally. He was charged with assaulting his teaching assistant last year by biting her on the little finger while she and 3 other teachers restrained him. He weighs about 85 pounds. He is just now getting ready to get off probation plus 45 hours of community service. We have been working at the animal shelter and he loves it, would like to continue doing it after we are done on a volunteer basis. I love that he puts a positive spin on it by saying that God knew that he needed to learn how to work, so this has helped him in the long run.

Anyway, we started T4L last Nov, and I think he is doing much better. I need to work on his motivation, and he is way behind on math...but we still think he is learning much more than he did in PS. Sorry for running on. I'll look into your website.

Cindy

gingersnap is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Cindy,
    Sounds like your child is Aspergers, these kids take just about everything literally! My son can be so funny about this some times but other times he takes a statement very much to heart. A teacher in the public school system (1st grade) told him that he was taking to long by erasing (he wanted his spelling and reading words to look good); he took this so much to heart that he would cry if he needed to erase. It took me a year to get him to erase without getting upset. I kept telling him, "that is why erasers were invented!"
    Lotsa luck in all that you guys do!
    Ginger

MaVel is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Another Asperger's boy

I took my boy out of ps after 2 years in preschool. He was dx with AS and they helped a lot with developing his social skills. He is also very bright and I spent time working with him at home on reading and science (which he loves!). At the end of the 2nd year they tested him and because he was so academically advanced (he scored at the end of 2nd grade on reading) they took away his IEP. I told them that he still had problems for whic accomodations were needed, but since I had already decided to homeschool, I wouldn't fight them on it. We started with Singapore Maths and it was fine for a while, until he rebelled against workbooks. He is also a visual learner and loves some little math movies we found from BBC. SWo when I found T4L I knew he would love it. He is doing great and learning the material easily without using the worksheets. He should be catching up to grade level before awfully long. I can tell when he has lost the ability to concentrate on it, and we stop. I want him to get a good understanding and enjoy math (or at least not hate it). T4L is working out very well for us, although I do need to stay with him as he works. He scores 80-100 on all quizzes and almost always 100 on the chapter tests. We are starting him on 3rd grade language arts this week. I hope it works as well for him as the math does.

I will be checking out the Aspergers Database.

Lucia von Narnia is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Ginger,

I have a boy with Asperger's. I'll check out your site. Thanks.