A Praise for Time4Learning and Processing Delays!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default A Praise for Time4Learning and Processing Delays!

My sweet precious 2nd son has significant Central Auditory Processing Disorder. We have done "All Children's" speech therapy, holistic doctors, Neurodevelopmental therapy and though each one brought something wonderful to our life, he still was not reading at age 11.

Yesterday my little 11 year old boy sat next to me on the couch after just 4 1/2 mos with T4L'ing and read his first EVER chapter out of a chapter book. (happy cry)

T4L'ing had made it so much easier for him to understand concepts through the multi-media. It has given him success in an area he felt very unsuccessful.

I thank the Lord that He brought us to T4L'ing!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing that! It's a wonderful story. Your son should be very proud of himself.

My youngest son has Down syndrome, and almost all children with Down syndrome have auditory processing disorders. So, your post was especially encouraging to me.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

NewLifeAcademy is offline Member Regular

I really understand your joy. I've had glimpses of this hope as well. Dd started trying to read Junie B Jones just for fun. Yipee! I'm not going to put pressure on her about it for now since it is her first attempt at chapt type books.

Blog Entries

I loved hearing your own stories. It's nice to know that there are other moms who truly understand. Though I am blessed to have many friends who support me that have never had these issues. Yeah, for Junie B Jones!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

ccpeterson is offline Member

Hi Mary,

I too have an 11 year old son who struggles with reading. We're going to have extensive testing done in a few weeks, to see exactly why he has such trouble learning.
    What grade level did you start your son on Time4Learning? I started my son on the 2nd grade, and he breezed through the Lang Arts, so we advanced to 3rd grade and he can't read anything on his own with the 3rd grade. I don't know what to do now. His fluency is so poor. He reads very slow and choppy. When he sees a word he doesn't know, he won't attempt to sound it out....he just makes something up or says, "I don't know". I've done sooooooo many phonics lessons with him and he does so well with it, but then will not apply those rules when reading. It's like he suddenly has no clue.
    I also have an 8 year old girl still learning to read as well...she's doing the 1st grade lang arts and doing really well. She's behind, but I don't think she has a disability...I think she's behind because of the lack of time I've given her over the past few years. I've been too worried about my son and always focusing on his struggles...when we first started homeschooling she was in K so I thought I had 'time' to work with her and kept putting it off. I feel so guilty now that she is 8 1/2 and just learning to read.
    Sorry...guess I needed to vent a little. Anyway, basically I was just wondering what grade level your 11 year old son was working in Lang Arts right now. My son won't touch a chapter book....he has NO desire to read and I don't think it even bothers him that he struggles. I literally have to force him to read.
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11

Blog Entries

Charity,

I started him in the FIRST grade level and he is now in the 2nd grade level. I have one question? Do you have him read a loud the books that they use in Lang arts? When I let my son do it on his own he didn't seem to get as much out of that?

Thanks Mary,

Yes, I always have him read them a loud while I listen. I really think we are going to find out that he has a form of dyslexia. He will still say 'was' when he sees 'saw' and vice versa....and he always mixes up small words like that.
    We go on Dec 7th for our initial appt and then will start testing after that. I'll keep you all posted on what we learn.

Thanks again!
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11

Blog Entries

Charity,

I am stopping now and praying for your precious little one....., that the Lord would go before him and help those doing the testing to see exactly where he needs help. Please update us!

Mary

Thank you so much Mary. You don't know how much it meant to me to read that you were praying for my little boy! Thank you! I will keep you posted.

Charity
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11

PS...Happy Belated Birthday, Mary! I was just looking at your blog. It looks like you had an awesome birthday.
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast