problem with grade 1 math lessons
    tonton is offline Junior Member

Default problem with grade 1 math lessons

Hi,

I need help with the 1st grade math. My son suddenly refuses to do the 1st grade math lessons. This started to happen in chapter 2 with the fractions. We dont know if it is the math difficulty or the voice of some of the characters. My wife said that she noticed my son to be trembling/scared when the monkey appears. This also happened this past summer in language arts kindergarten with the turtle character. Assuming, he is just scared of the monkey character, is it possible in the future for the user to select a character? or select a different voice for the character? Any ideas, causes or suggestions for my son's issue? thanks

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Users are unable to select alternate cartoon characters. I'm sorry, but I'm not qualified to offer advice as to how to proceed if your son turns out to be afraid of the animated monkey.

First grade math is quite a bit more advanced than kindergarten math. Many parents have had success by sitting with their students while they do their lessons.

Here is a previous thread regarding kindergarten math that you might find interesting.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

tonton is offline Junior Member

actually, we always sit next to him to guide him along. So far , after 4 lessons since the problem started, he only did 2 of the 4 lessons, and those other 2 lessons had the screaming monkey. We will continue with the lessons to isolate where his refusal for finishing a lesson is coming from, but so far it looks like its the screaming monkey thats the cause. we will keep you updated.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy
    Users are unable to select alternate cartoon characters. I'm sorry, but I'm not qualified to offer advice as to how to proceed if your son turns out to be afraid of the animated monkey.

First grade math is quite a bit more advanced than kindergarten math. Many parents have had success by sitting with their students while they do their lessons.

Here is a previous thread regarding kindergarten math that you might find interesting.

denimay is offline Senior Member

Default Re: problem with grade 1 math lessons

tonton......I think that early math is often learned best "hands on" ...... small pizza's (that can be eaten to 'reduce' fradtions, blocks, colored paper shapes, etc. you could even use pictures of monkeys (that don't scream) to represent fractions. Once he's mastered the lesson, perhaps he'll be able to tolerate the screaming monkey......and perhaps he can just move on to a character that's not so frightening. Children don't begin to distinguish real from fantasy until about 8 or 9 years of age. They may appear very sophisticated, and we often think that because something is ANIMATED that our children KNOW that it's not real.......but, cartoon characters can be very frightening and seem very real to children. Assuring your son that these scary characters are "not real" will not be as effective as teaching these lessons without the screaming monkey and showing your son that you respect his feelings. Just my 2 cents..........deni.........
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

thequeen is offline Junior Member Newbie

wow, i am a new member and just saw this. my granddaughter has been living with me since last august; she is 14 and has down syndrome and functions at a 3-4 yo level. we took her out of school in february because portland mainstreams their kids and she has always been in a contained classroom environment. she did not do very well and was having constant meltdowns. as an example her first class was spanish; she would just sit in the classroom and sing songs when they did that but otherwise she and her aid would just sit there and then she would move on to another class. she hated it. when i decided to home school i found time 4 learning. she blew threw her kindergarten classes but when we got to first grade everything has been a problem.

she's doing okay in language arts but the math is real difficult for her. she doesn't seem bothered by the screaming monkey; he scares me more than her. i loved the characters in kindergarten; we would sing along with the blue elephant and the pink rhino lassoing the letters, but she hasn't connected too much with the first grade characters.

anyone out there with down syndrome kids and trying to teach
    them? it is a real challenge.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

My youngest son has Down syndrome! He's 4 1/2 and I'm starting a formal homeschool preschool program with him this year. I have taken pictures of some of his toys and made page-sized flashcards from them. Then, we put the flashcards on the floor and he matches the toy with the flashcard. He does well when there are only two choices. If he has three or more toys to work with, he gets a little confused, but he's getting better and better, so I am encouraged.

My children have always been homeschooled and so will my son with DS. It is a different experience than teaching typical kids, for sure! There's a lot of support out there, if you know where to look. I expect my son to benefit from the one-on-one instruction that I and his older siblings are able to give him. Despite good intentions, they don't have that much time to work individually with kids at public schools.

Welcome to the board, and please continue sharing how your grand daughter is doing. You might be interested in this information about using Time4Learning for children with Down syndrome.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

thequeen is offline Junior Member Newbie

thank you so much for your support. it does get a little daunting and she is well worth it; she is such a cute little girl, so loving and gentle so we go very slowly and when she gets answers right she gets so excited.