Relationship of T4L and Compass Learning Odyssey
    cherra is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Relationship of T4L and Compass Learning Odyssey

Since T4L is still very new to me, I am still learning the history, etc. Please advise whether or not I have a correct understanding of the relationship. My understanding in the reading I've done thus far is that T4L is using the program/material provided by Compass Learning Odyssey since Compass Learning is available only to schools as opposed to individual homeschoolers and that T4L is available specifically to homeschoolers. Correct?

The reason I'm asking is that I am so very happy to have found T4L and am finding it to be of great benefit for my son. I feel so strongly that this program should be available in special education departments in the public schools as I feel it has potential benefit for many special needs kids. I would like to pass on my feelings to my contacts in the special ed departments locally. In doing this, I want to be sure that I do so appropriately. If I'm understanding the relationship correctly, a school looking to participate in this program would be referred to Compass Learning rather than T4L. Is that correct? Regardless of that I would certainly name T4L as the way I came to know about Compass Learning.

Thanks.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

You are correct that Compass Learning is available only for school use. T4L is available for individual use, whether the student is home schooled or not. Many families use Time4Learning to supplement or enrich their child's public school education.

If your child has special needs and has an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) through a public school district, you can consider having Time4Learning added to his/her IEP. Most school districts solicit parental input when it comes to preparing their own child's IEP. If it's part of the IEP, school districts are usually required to pay for that student's T4L membership/subscription. The student would have access both at home and at school.

This would allow the district to immediately use the program "as needed" for individual students, without having to implement Compass Learning district-wide.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

cherra is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks, Kelly. That's a great thought. We are currently homeschooling, but my son does have an IEP and we are considering an alternative school in the district as a possibility for next year. Going that route will be dependent on a lot of things, but if we should go that route, incorporating T4L into his IEP would be an excellent idea! A superb thought to keep in mind!

Regardless what direction we go next year for my son, homeschooling versus the alternative school, I would love to see T4L or Compass Learning be a tool that is available in the special ed department as a whole. It is the best tool I have found for my son to date by a long shot. I will certainly make a few contacts with two or three people I know in the special ed department locally and make them aware of T4L. We have been through so much in the past couple of years both medically and educationally and I have spent so many hours in research from both perspectives. All of it is worth every minute for my son alone, but if others ultimately can share in that benefit, how wonderful that would be!