School District Demands I Sign Letter! Need Advice Please!
    itsme102376 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default School District Demands I Sign Letter! Need Advice Please!

Hi,

We live in Indiana. We decided to pull our son out of school mid year (7th grade). He has an IEP that we chose to maintain for the time being (in case he wants to go back to traditional school). I notified the DOE that we were choosing to home school and obtained a home school number (even though it was not required just recommended) and I have been keeping records of what is studied and days in school etc. The school is now demanding we sign a letter stating that (we are aware, they do not agree with our decision to home school - yet are homeschooling anyways). Can anyone tell me if they have any experience with something like this? Should I sign this or not? What are the possible ramifications of signing vs not signing it? Thanks!

Crystal

sevenducklings is offline Junior Member Newbie

I would ask them to show me the law that says you have to. Indiana is very low regulation as far as homeschooling is concerned and it sounds like these officials are overstepping their bounds and being bullies. I don't know their hearts, so I can only say what it *sounds* like, but it definitely just sounds like they're asking more of you than the law allows. Are you a member of the HSLDA? They are very good about contacting school districts and asking that they abide by the law.
    Stephanie
    Wife to one great man:
    Mom to seven blessings
    DD 12
    DD10--probable dyslexic/dysgraphic
    DS9--Asperger's
    DS7
    DD4
    DD 20 months
    DD 3 months

mcmary is offline Member

That doesn't sound right at all. You could try Wright's Law (they have a website) for advice. I wouldn't sign it if you are not comfortable signing it. And homeschooled kids are entitled to IEP services by law.

itsme102376 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks. I did not think it sounded right. I was trying to be cooperative with the school district however this is the 3rd time they have wanted me to sign something to that affect. I should be getting the letter soon in the mail that they want me to sign and will proceed from there. Thanks again
    Crystal

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Crystal, the school district is required to try and find students with special needs and to annually notify them that they stand ready to provide services. They LIKE you to sign something declining services, because then they have proof the services were offered. You are not required to sign it.

If you are receiving ANY services from the school district, you may be under different regulations, because they might be "counting" you as a public school student.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

pootnroo is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Crystal, Our son also has an IEP and here in Denver, CO, you fill out a form called NOTIFICATION OF HOME STUDY and explain why you are homeschooling and either FT or
    PT and then sign at the bottom that you are choosing to do this. There are no other legal requirements, except that they still want to help test and evaluate your child for their progress, which we welcome.
    Are you saying that your district is requiring you to sign the document that states that you've chosen homeschooling? I think that is so they are able to legally verify that that is the education plan for your son and it protects them. Don't worry that they don't agree with HS'g. Public schools don't respond well to HS'g, because it's not something they can offer to us. I hope this helps.

Ruth

Ferelwing is offline Junior Member Newbie

I would go to HSLDA, I know what you're going through. It can be rough, the best thing to do is become a registered member of HSLDA. I'm currently going through some bully tactics from my kids school.