Should I have my son evaluated for dyslexia?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jpenn

Thread: Should I have my son evaluated for dyslexia?

cjleslie1 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Should I have my son evaluated for dyslexia?

I have a 6 yr. old who I believe is dyslexic. I have been doing a lot of research and am wondering if there is any reason for me to have him evaluated. We homeschool so I have been trying to tailor things to his learning style but he is still having a lot of difficulty with reading and phonics. Would having him evaluated do anything for him since we homeschool or should I just understand he may have a LD and work with it? Also, my husband and I are debating on doing t4l but our family budget is very tight so we have to pick and choose what we spend the money on and are not sure this is worth it or if we should try a different curriculum.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi cjleslie1,

Six is very young to label a child with dyslexia, also boys are typically slower mastering at that age. I would continue working with him at his level. As for T4L, if you have a blog, you can consider writing an honest review for a free month trial. That would help you make your decision.

Keep us informed, and best wishes.
    lovehmschlg likes this.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

bridgettbaldwin is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by cjleslie1 View Post
    I have a 6 yr. old who I believe is dyslexic. I have been doing a lot of research and am wondering if there is any reason for me to have him evaluated. We homeschool so I have been trying to tailor things to his learning style but he is still having a lot of difficulty with reading and phonics. Would having him evaluated do anything for him since we homeschool or should I just understand he may have a LD and work with it? Also, my husband and I are debating on doing t4l but our family budget is very tight so we have to pick and choose what we spend the money on and are not sure this is worth it or if we should try a different curriculum.
    If you are not familiar with the LD then having him tested may help in your understanding of dyslexia. Some dyslexia syptoms mirror some other disorders and can be confusing when trying to figure out what exactly is going on. If there is a family history then your son has a greater chance of having dyslexia. My daughter has ALOT of the signs of dyslexia but is only 7 so i am waiting till next year to have the evaluation done bc alot times it is hard for the docs to get a sound diagnosis bc of the childs inability to complete the test due to short attention spans, hyper activity, ect. If you believe your son has it you could try the learning methods that help dyslexics and see how that goes. As far as time4learning it is helping my daughter alot thus far and she is no longer coming up with every excuse to keep from doing her lessons. She actually loves doing her reading now and is progressing quicker in the short time we have been doing t4l than with any other program i have tried so far!! And believe me we have tried ALOT of programs and methods! The only supplement we are using is explode the code which are very inexpensive. One of the best parts of t4l {except for the help my daughter recieves} is that you can go 1 month at a time and at any point the program is either not helping or becomes a financial burden then you can quit there are no contracts! That was awesome for us considering the many things that simply havent worked for us!!!! The main thing to remember is that just as every person is different so are those that have learning disabilities, what works for my daughter may not work for your son and vice verca. My dad has dyslexia and I do as well, what worked for him didnt work for me, he was awesome in math and only struggled with reading. I on the other hand was delayed in reading but progressed until now i love to read on the other hand algerbra still alludes me to this day! Numbers and letters simply do not mix in my mind and you cant convince me otherwise lol! Hope this helped some I know i rambled on for a bit

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, cjleslie1. I agree with Jackie that 6 years old is young yet to be concerned. I would, however, like to share with you the reading program that I used for our dd with special needs. Phono-Graphix is an instructional method with documented success in remediating reading and spelling difficulties in students with diagnosed learning disabilities or dyslexia. You can simply purchase the instructional book, Reading Reflex, from any bookstore or from Amazon.
    This program worked wonders with our daughter! To reinforce the code, or deciphering the code, we use SpellingCity. We just add our own vocabulary lists on there following what she has learned with Phono-Graphix, and she uses the list to play games which reinforce the code knowledge. Time4Learning has been a huge help for her in reading because it makes reading fun for her, and she can read along as the word come on the screen. She can repeat lessons as often as needed or as often as she likes. She loves it!! Between T4L and SpellingCity, she is really blossoming.

Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

If your child is going in to be evaluated they are not just going to be focused on what you think it is. They will truly want to diagnose your child so they will know what is going on. Getting my child diagnosed was upsetting at first knowing that she actual had a special need but then I realized I was a good mom for doing it and learning how to best help my child and being prepared for it. If you feel your child needs help with something do not ponder over whether or not you should get help. If your child gets a diagnoses the state will help with funding for your childs needs and get you an IEP to cover the tools needed for there education and progression.