So Far So Good

Thread: So Far So Good

chapswife is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default So Far So Good

Hey there everyone!!! I have been homeschooling my son now for about 3 weeks and so far I think it is going pretty well! It is stil very overwhelming at times and I DO NOT like being at home so much, but I have noticed that his nervous habits and melt downs have slowed down some. He used to get so frustrated when it came to school and doing any kind of work, but now he looks forward to getting his work done.....because then he knows he has free time! Micah has been diagnosed with Asbergers, Auditory Processing Disorder, and now maybe dyslexia. It has been a very long hard road for us (but more so for him) and I am so thankful for finding Time4Learning!!! On the days that I get so very frustrated I am always reminded that my dear sweet boy is just who is supposed to be and he is who the Lord created him to be!!!
    Military Wife
    Mom of 4 amazing kids
    (homeschooling one of them)
    and a daughter of the King!!!!!

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Default Re: So Far So Good

Yay, it sounds like he's doing great so far!
    Melissa.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chapswife
    Hey there everyone!!! I have been homeschooling my son now for about 3 weeks and so far I think it is going pretty well! It is stil very overwhelming at times and I DO NOT like being at home so much, but I have noticed that his nervous habits and melt downs have slowed down some. He used to get so frustrated when it came to school and doing any kind of work, but now he looks forward to getting his work done.....because then he knows he has free time! Micah has been diagnosed with Asbergers, Auditory Processing Disorder, and now maybe dyslexia. It has been a very long hard road for us (but more so for him) and I am so thankful for finding Time4Learning!!! On the days that I get so very frustrated I am always reminded that my dear sweet boy is just who is supposed to be and he is who the Lord created him to be!!!
    WELCOME! I LOVE your testimony;-) Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling. I'm so glad you shared your story. I have three sons with Auditory Processing Disorder and I have to tell you that you are very blessed to find Time4Learning right off the bat. It works exceptionally with our children. The strong, interactive graphics add velcro to information and helps it to stick and stay in place. We are starting our 12th year of homeschooling and didn't find Time4Learning until July of 2007. In all the years prior we never found a curriculum that gave us the year end results that Time4Learning has. I hope you will continue to participate in the forums as I look forward to getting to know you better. (Big Warm Smile) Are you by chance on facebook or twitter? You can become a FAN of Time4Learning and get encouraging articles five days a week to encourage you in your journey. Or you can subscribe to our blog: http://www.home-school-online.com/

Blessings,
    Mary
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

How does Micah feel about being in the house so much? If he's into tactile stimulation, maybe you can spend some time in the kitchen or garden making goodies or planting flowers together. Callum helps me in the kitchen. He loves to "make white mountains" by sifting flour into a bowl (with help!) and to wisk ingredients together. If Micah likes to mold play dough, you can make some and use it to reinforce your lessons by building models (or just trying to talk about what he learned during T4L). Or use your lessons as a jumping off point to find something to do out of the house. Go to the library and find books about one of his topics or go on a little field trip to discover your topic from a new angle. If nothing else, bring a book to the playground and let him run around. Also be sure to look in your area for co-op groups and mother-meetups.
    Melissa.

chapswife is offline Junior Member Newbie

Micah doesn't mind being in the house during the day. Being home all day has actually helped his wanting to go and play outside with his friend at the end of the day. Before homeschooling he didn't want to go and play with friends or even be bothered. I am thinking that because he has not been over socially stimulated and had to mind his manners all day he is ready for interaction with other kids.....who knows. We do get out of the house on Tuesdays for Co-Op and then on Thursday mornings for some volunteering at the church office. We are working hard on teaching him life skills, that will serve him the rest of his life. We are also starting some outside speech/launguage therapy once a week! He is enjoying learing more then he was, but still would rather not do any kind of school work. I know that with some gentle guidance and LOTS of prayer he will come to enjoy learning about the world around him and exploring new things.

Have a great and blessed day everyone : )
    Military Wife
    Mom of 4 amazing kids
    (homeschooling one of them)
    and a daughter of the King!!!!!