So happy to be back!
    ccpeterson is offline Member

Default So happy to be back!

Hi everyone!

I'm Charity...have used time4learning with both of kids off and on over the past couple years or so. Looking back and wishing I had stuck with it, especially with the daughter. I have 2 kids, 14 year old son who is severaly dyslexic and ADD. My daughter 11, has never been officially tested but we know from experience with our son that she has dyslexia but much milder than her brother. However, it's still been a challenge. She's 11, and I'm going to start her on 3rd grade for Language arts and math. It's my goal for her to try to work through 3rd and 4th over the next year. I figured up our lessons based on a 25 week year, and we do that, she can finish 3rd by the end of February.
    We'll be using T4L as core for her Language Arts and Math. She'll be doing Sequential Spellling for spelling and Just Write for writing, along with Explode the Code for phonics/reading help. She's in book 6 and it has helped her a lot. We had been using Math U See, but she was getting bored with it, so I'm hoping Time4Learning Math is a good fit.
    Unfortunately T4L doesn't work well with my son, so he'll be doing other things.
    Anyway..I'm very happy to be back ... we are going to start our school year THIS Monday!!! Ready to get started!!
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ccpeterson View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm Charity...have used time4learning with both of kids off and on over the past couple years or so. Looking back and wishing I had stuck with it, especially with the daughter. I have 2 kids, 14 year old son who is severaly dyslexic and ADD. My daughter 11, has never been officially tested but we know from experience with our son that she has dyslexia but much milder than her brother. However, it's still been a challenge. She's 11, and I'm going to start her on 3rd grade for Language arts and math. It's my goal for her to try to work through 3rd and 4th over the next year. I figured up our lessons based on a 25 week year, and we do that, she can finish 3rd by the end of February.
    We'll be using T4L as core for her Language Arts and Math. She'll be doing Sequential Spellling for spelling and Just Write for writing, along with Explode the Code for phonics/reading help. She's in book 6 and it has helped her a lot. We had been using Math U See, but she was getting bored with it, so I'm hoping Time4Learning Math is a good fit.
    Unfortunately T4L doesn't work well with my son, so he'll be doing other things.
    Anyway..I'm very happy to be back ... we are going to start our school year THIS Monday!!! Ready to get started!!
    Oh Charity!

I can't tell you how this made my morning. I am SO glad you're back. Selfishly, I just love having you around.

Don't beat yourself for leaving and coming back. I believe that some of my best experiences have been because I've tried roads that led to nowhere. It made me more committed to what did work.

I think your plan sounds GREAT! We used and loved sequential spelling for one year. Did you buy the workbook or are you going to make up your own? I don't know if you want to do this, but you can plug your sequential list into www.spellingcity.com and your daughter can work on it outside of your lesson time.

I'm so glad you're back Charity.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Thank you, Mary! That is so sweet of you. I am so happy to be back too. I took the time to catch up on your blog last night too! I have to tell you, your blog gives me such inspiration. I used to follow your blog regularly and then well.... facebook came into my life... and all my time on the computer started being devoted to it, and I slowly stopped visiting other pages. Sad huh? Something about FB...it just hooks ya. I'm really trying to limit my time on there. Of course if you have a FB, I'd love to add ya!
    I'm glad things are going well with you and that you are getting help from your natural doctor and feeling better!!!
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11

Oops! I forgot to answer your question about Sequential Spellling. No, I didn't buy the workbook. We are just using a spiral notebook and folding the pages like they suggested, and also...I don't know if you are aware but they have their program on CD for the computer now!! This is working out really well for the kids. They can do it completely independently, although I do usually stay nearby and watch...ha. We have used Spelling City before, but not with sequential spelling...good idea!!!
    I have one question... I just want to make sure I have this figured out right. I told you I figured up how many lessons my daughter needs to do for a 25 week school year. Well...for example, she needs to complete 2 lessons in Language Arts... A lesson would be a topic (such as synonyms) and then ALL the activities under that...such as if there are 5 stars under that, she'd do all those, and that would be 1 lesson, is the correct? Thanks!!!
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Charity, I didn't know it was now on CD! That's so cool. I just saw your friend request and got a huge smile on my face. We get to keep in touch here and in facebook land;-)
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/