son with reading disability, phonics disorder, and ADHD
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kellymlt is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default son with reading disability, phonics disorder, and ADHD

My son has ADHD on top of his learnign disabilities that is hindering his learning in public school. He cries everymorning before going to school. Comes home saying he has no friends and that they all pick on him. This all just breaks my heart. He is 12 and in the 6th grade reading on a 1st to 2nd grade level. I am unable to get him to do any homework on his own mainly because it all has to be read to him. Math has also become a big challenge. I have made up my mind to pull him out and homeschool him starting in Jan. We will start by using the 14 day free trial to see if this site will interest him. I pray that it will.

question: Does he have to log in on the same computer everyday to do his lessons. Or can he do some days at our home and other days at my mothers house. I work three 12 hour days a week.
    Mom of 2, 12yr old son and 3 year daughter

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. I'm sorry for your son's frustrations, and I hope Time4Learning is part of the answer for you both.

He can log in from any computer, as long as it meets the requirements for running the program. (Most do. If they don't, it's usually a matter of downloading a small program or making a settings adjustment, which we are glad to help with.)

You will probably have many questions during the trial period. Please feel free to ask anything you wish. Also, take some time to study the Getting Started Manual and all of the helpful Hints. Since you are new to homeschooling as well as to Time4Learning, you might also be interested in the Weldome to Homeschooling Guide.

We're glad you found us!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Default started t4l this week son with adhd and lds

Update>>>>> My son started t4l this week and is loving it so far. AlthoughI am having to read most of the material to him that the program isnt reading aloud. Using Peddy as well. We are still figuring out the grade levels and such.. But when he ask to do LA makes my heart leap. He never wanted to do any school work before. Seems I still have alot on my hands though. We will figure it all out in time.

I took him to his ps to sign him out and he did the happy dance and bragged to all of his classmates. They gave me his last report card. List of grades as folllows: LA 52
    reading - remedial poor
    art 58 how can he fail art
    reading 49
    science 58
    math 49
    social studies 72
    all 6 grade classes with sped help all first semester averages

He seems to be doing much better with this program although I have lowered his grade level in some aspects.

remember son has adhd, reading disability and phonics disorder.

will start doing the LA extensions soon . Hope he doesnt resist this.

I am already proud of the self esteem boost he is having.

thanks t4l

kjs7dwarfs is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello and I just want you to know your not alone here. My son is 11 and in 5th grade he too is only reading at a 2nd grade level he resently has ask to quit school and be home schooled so I'm giving this a one month try and in feb. will make a dession. Keep possitive attitude and remember this can't hurt him.
    karen

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

Good luck! Of course this won't hurt him. I bet you will be pleasantly surprised by how rewarding home schooling really is.

~new to homeschooling and loving it~
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

ccpeterson is offline Member

Default Re: son with reading disability, phonics disorder, and ADHD

I wanted to pop in and let you know you are not alone. My son is 12 (almost 13) w/ severe ADD and dyslexia, auditory processing weaknesses, etc...and he is reading at a late 1st grade or early 2nd grade level. He's been STUCK there for 4 years. He is about to start a program called Read Rx through Learning Rx. http://www.learningrx.com . He starts next week and we are praying for a breakthrough for him!

Charity
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Your poor son! The first post you made just broke my heart reading it. It sounds like he might enjoy being home where you can work with him one on one.
    Melissa.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the boards Kelly. It sounds like homeschooling will be a PERFECT fit. Statistically children with ADD or ADHD or most any kind of Learning Difference EXCEL in a homeschool situation because they simply work better one on one. Make sure you contact your state support group and see if you can find any support groups, park days or co-op's near you. Hopefully both you and your son will be surprised by the difference in the socialization through homeschooling. ((((You Can Do This Hugs))))

Quote Originally Posted by ccpeterson
    I wanted to pop in and let you know you are not alone. My son is 12 (almost 13) w/ severe ADD and dyslexia, auditory processing weaknesses, etc...and he is reading at a late 1st grade or early 2nd grade level. He's been STUCK there for 4 years. He is about to start a program called Read Rx through Learning Rx. http://www.learningrx.com . He starts next week and we are praying for a breakthrough for him!

Charity
    Charity, I almost forgot that we are in the same exact situation. Let me know what you think of your new program. I love that T4L'ing keeps re-enforcing the reading skills so that we can work with our children with special needs. (((Big Hugs)))
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

denimay is offline Senior Member

Hi! My name is Deni.........my son Ale has a significant speech delay and we're out in the boonies of Central America with no services or assessment facilities available. I'm a certified teacher with years of teaching experience and I'm also firmly hold the belief that for the last 20yrs or so we've been pushing our children too hard, too fast and too soon. I'm doing the best I can, but my son is now 8 and I feel we should be able to hit the academics..........he doesn't seem to be able to remember much of anything......we've been playing and practicing the alphabet for several YEARS yet he cant name the letters in or out of sequence. We've been counting things forEVER and yet he doesn't count well. He can't seem to remember the names of colors.....people.....or other things. He's very personable and social, empathetic and sensitive to others' feelings....I've read and researched the literature until my eyes bleed......the only consistent symptom he has is speech delay......he's bilingual (English/Spanish) and simply does not speak clearly in either language though he appears to understand everything in both. I'm a really good teacher....with OTHER people's kids.......I'm just so unsure with my own....I wanted to start at the begining, but wonder if that's to slow or babyish for him.........any suggestions will be greatly appreciated......deni........
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

Hi! Deni, Great to hear from you and I feel your pain... I think that starting at the beginning would be great to find out where he is at .... You can always change the level later if needed..

kellymlt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast