Special Needs of a Different Kind
    Kirahfaye is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Special Needs of a Different Kind

I can't tell you how grateful I am to have found Time4Learning. Not only does it allow us to financially afford to home-school my daughter, it is helping her spirit grow.

My daughter has a slightly different issue when it comes to learning (although since both parents have dyslexia there's that to consider as I home-school her), but what she suffers from has impacted her ability to function in the public school setting. JL has depression and anxiety disorders, something, at nearly 14 yo, she's been dealing with openly for 2 years and silently for several prior. In just 2 days of working with her at home, using T4L, she feels secure and confident. In math, previously her worst subject, she's aced all her quizzes! She enjoys the quiet atmosphere and the one on one attention I can give her that she couldn't get from even the most well-meaning of her teachers.

I suspect our "accidental" reasons for home schooling JL won't be unique for long. More and more young adolescents are suffering from depression, bi-polar disorder, anxiety and other mental health issues. Health care has been slow to respond, but doctors and scientists are coming around (only a couple of years ago the general consensus in the behavioral health field was that no one under the age of 18 could be bi-polar). Schools, teachers and administrators are not equipped to handle children dealing with suicidal and self-harming thoughts and tendencies, emotional break-downs and anxiety attacks.

I hope I can come here for support as I learn to deal with and work through JL's issues. I know I will do my best to be a comfort to the rest of you.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Special Needs of a Different Kind

Quote Originally Posted by Kirahfaye
    JL has depression and anxiety disorders, something, at nearly 14 yo, she's been dealing with openly for 2 years and silently for several prior. In just 2 days of working with her at home, using T4L, she feels secure and confident. In math, previously her worst subject, she's aced all her quizzes! She enjoys the quiet atmosphere and the one on one attention I can give her that she couldn't get from even the most well-meaning of her teachers.
    What a GREAT testimony! My sons deal with processing issue's and no matter how many math programs that we tried we couldn't find a fit. After ten years of HS'ing we found Time4Learning and at the end of their first year with this program they went up more than EVER before. I love that your daughter is enjoying the quiet atmosphere. You're doing a GREAT job and I can just tell that you are going to be a wonderful support here
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirahfaye

I suspect our "accidental" reasons for home schooling JL won't be unique for long. More and more young adolescents are suffering from depression, bi-polar disorder, anxiety and other mental health issues. Health care has been slow to respond, but doctors and scientists are coming around (only a couple of years ago the general consensus in the behavioral health field was that no one under the age of 18 could be bi-polar). Schools, teachers and administrators are not equipped to handle children dealing with suicidal and self-harming thoughts and tendencies, emotional break-downs and anxiety attacks.

I hope I can come here for support as I learn to deal with and work through JL's issues. I know I will do my best to be a comfort to the rest of you.
    AMEN! I have met more mama's the last couple of years who have precious children struggling with bi-polar and depression and they have had to work so hard to find help. I'm so glad that the mental health community is catching up. If you ever need support we're here for you! (((Big Hugs)))
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

((( ))) Yay to your daughter for acing those quizzes! It sounds like T4L is a great fit for her. When you think about it, public school settings can be difficult in so many ways. There are so many distractions it's amazing anything gets done. The sounds, the lights, the close quarters, the chaos, the questionable social expectations all add up to a lot of stress. My daughter is only 9 and she's already told me that the idea of high school is stressing her out! So many expectations and changes going on during that time, it's no wonder kids are taking the brunt of it.
    Melissa.

Kirahfaye is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks, ladies, for the support - it's really appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by SahmIam
    My daughter is only 9 and she's already told me that the idea of high school is stressing her out! So many expectations and changes going on during that time, it's no wonder kids are taking the brunt of it.
    Yes, JL mentioned that all her friends at ps were stressing out about high school, however even more so about their families' financial problems, whether they'll be able to get into college, if there will be jobs after they graduate, if they will be able to afford a home . . . When I was 13 I don't think I even knew what a mortgage was!