Special Olympics
    BostonDad is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Special Olympics

My daughter just participated in the Horseback riding Special Olympics in MA (she did really well taking home two blue ribbons!) When my older daughter posted on her Facebook that her sister took home two ribbons someone commented saying that she shouldn't advertise that she was in the Special Olympics because it takes away from the achievement. My older daughter was so upset thinking she did something wrong. I told her that we are proud of her and he special needs should not be hidden because its a part of who she is and she has worked very hard to overcome these challenges. Has anyone else dealt with this? Where people don't understand why you talk about your child's learning disabilities.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BostonDad View Post
    My daughter just participated in the Horseback riding Special Olympics in MA (she did really well taking home two blue ribbons!) When my older daughter posted on her Facebook that her sister took home two ribbons someone commented saying that she shouldn't advertise that she was in the Special Olympics because it takes away from the achievement. My older daughter was so upset thinking she did something wrong. I told her that we are proud of her and he special needs should not be hidden because its a part of who she is and she has worked very hard to overcome these challenges. Has anyone else dealt with this? Where people don't understand why you talk about your child's learning disabilities.
    First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is a HUGE accomplishment.

I just have to say that I totally agree with you and think you did the right thing. I think when you share where she's coming from it does spotlight her incredible bravery, courage and strength! We can't change how other people view what we should do, but we shouldn't let it change our decisions either. In my opinion, you did exactly the right thing!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Congratulations that is awesome! Big hugs to your daughter! It encourages & helps others with the same special needs know that they can do things like your daughter participated in. You're right it should not be hidden & she is who she is. There's nothing to be ashame of & there are still some people out there that need to be taught that. Great job to your older daughter for sharing her sister's achievements with others!

hfulton6112 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default wow

Congratulations to your daughter for her achievements! I know that this post is several months old but I figured people still read the posts here.... I have a problem with people saying "you should put a name on your children's issues because it makes people label them" Well, isn't this what makes our kids what they are?? God didn't "label" our kids for no reason! Sorry just wanted to put my thought in there.
    Mother to Scarlett 8, Michael 5, and Steven 21 months