Temporary homeschooling
    Jo37 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Temporary homeschooling

My son, who is in 5th grade, is gifted, also takes medication for anxiety and OCD. Even though they only have 7 weeks left of school, we want to start homeschooling immediately . He has such severe anxiety about school that he is being sent home constantly with vomiting. After having many tests done by his doctor, medically he seems to be healthy. We are hoping a break from the school stress will help with this issue. Any advice on how we get started finishing out the year at home?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Temporary homeschooling

Hi, Jo. Each state has its own homeschool laws. They are all very different. Most of them address withdrawing a student from public school. Many of them address returning a student to public school, but some leave it up to the school itself. So the first thing you will want to do is go to your state's Department of Education website and make sure you understand the law. Some state's require notice and some do not. A very few require advanced notice or even approval.

Time4Learning does encourage you to follow the homeschool laws in your state, but they do not oversee that. They allow anyone to sign up at any time. They provide the curriculum, and you use it your way.

You might be interested in their free Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

Best wishes to you and your son!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

schumacherkristin is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Temporary homeschooling

Jo37,

I just wanted to share that your not alone. I have 2 kids with anxiety and OCD. My oldest is 14 and her OCD is actually related to school, it got so extreme that I pulled her half way through 8th grade, shes nearing the end of 9the grade now and doing well with homeschooling.
    My middle is 11(5th grade) and she has extreme anxiety related to school and begs to be homeschooled. It's a struggle, she has constant stomache aches, worry, and cries often when going to school. I just can't decide what's best in the long run for her. Home school for her may be in the very near future. I'd like to homeschool her, husband doesn't really agree.

I do wish you much luck with everything.