Test Results

Thread: Test Results

adria2328 is offline Senior Member

Default Test Results

I just wanted to stop by and let ya'll know that yesterday we recieved the results from my DD12's testing. There is an 8 page report with tons of information so I will just give you the short version! we have found out she is an auditory learner and she has Dyscalculia. Her Math level is WAY below grade level. She tested at a 2.9 grade level so I am thinking of backing her up even more to once again start with the basics. The Neuro basically described it as a blind spot in her brain when it comes to math. I am so stressed and confused and hoping to be able to find ways to help her learn better. It is stressing me out that this all falls in my lap....but putting her back in school is not an option. I am going to begin by finding some good multiplication shongs to help her learn those. Schoolhouse Rock seems cute and not too annoying like the Hip Hop Multiplication is!!! I will also sit and read some lessons to her, and MAKE SURE she is reading out loud when she is completing them independently. I thin we will also read the quizzes to her. If anyone has any suggestions I would LOVE to hear them. Thanks!!!!
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

Nic's Mom is offline Junior Member

Good Morning Adria,

My son is also an auditory learner. We really like the Natural Reader text to speech program. We also use the Schoolhouse Rock DVDs (they are great for grammar as well as multiplication).

Good Luck! Hang in there!
    Lisa

Mom to Nick, age 9

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adria2328 View Post
    I just wanted to stop by and let ya'll know that yesterday we recieved the results from my DD12's testing. There is an 8 page report with tons of information so I will just give you the short version! we have found out she is an auditory learner and she has Dyscalculia. Her Math level is WAY below grade level. She tested at a 2.9 grade level so I am thinking of backing her up even more to once again start with the basics. The Neuro basically described it as a blind spot in her brain when it comes to math. I am so stressed and confused and hoping to be able to find ways to help her learn better. It is stressing me out that this all falls in my lap....but putting her back in school is not an option. I am going to begin by finding some good multiplication shongs to help her learn those. Schoolhouse Rock seems cute and not too annoying like the Hip Hop Multiplication is!!! I will also sit and read some lessons to her, and MAKE SURE she is reading out loud when she is completing them independently. I thin we will also read the quizzes to her. If anyone has any suggestions I would LOVE to hear them. Thanks!!!!
    Adria, how in the world did I miss this post?!?! My oldest has Dyscalulia. It's a tough one because they do not know at this time how to fix that blind spot. He is 19 and unable to do anything above basic math, though his other subjects are on level. He was also visual.

Time4Learning is a great fit, as is Five In A Row and A.C.E. paces. These are things you can use together. I try to not use all of one thing because it can become boring. I love your results and I love watching you run your homeschool race with such purpose!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

adria2328 is offline Senior Member

Yes Mary the Math blind spot. UGH!!!! I have her at level 5 right now in math do you think that moving the level down to three might help her. It seems WAY to easy for *me but that's me. I am thinking even if it is easy it may help boost her self-esteem and review the basics for her. My mind set is to just do constant review of basic math and purchase a multiplication cd for her. If i can make the basics and multiplication tables stick it will be the highest acheivement I could ask of her. It's hard putting aside the thoughts of pushing her to do more, though since seeing the results on paper from a doctor does make it easier to say it's ok she doesn't "get it". kwim?
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adria2328 View Post
    Yes Mary the Math blind spot. UGH!!!! I have her at level 5 right now in math do you think that moving the level down to three might help her. It seems WAY to easy for *me but that's me.
    Yes! I so understand what you're going through because I felt the same way. However, I found that Brandon responded so much better when I met him where he is most comfortable. Another thing that is really helpful to kids with Dyscalcula is memorizing math facts. Let me know how it goes.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

mcmary is offline Member

Adria, My twelve-year-old daughter is also an auditory learner. She used to be in the first percentile (!) for math. We were really, really concerned because she literally had no number sense and couldn't conceptualize math at all at the end of second grade. Well, to make a long story short, after math intervention she, by the middle of fifth grade, was near grade level and her teacher said she scored among the highest in her class in math fluency. Truly a miracle! She's now in seventh grade (homeschooled) and is doing the 7/6 Saxon homeschool curriculum, so basically is at grade level. Here's what we did: We switched schools to a private school that not only offered NILD educational therapy but also offered her a private math teacher. It's her math teacher at that school that started using Saxon with great success. But, before starting Saxon in fifth grade she literally went back to square one in third grade to develop a number sense. She did tons of partners of ten, count-bys, sequences etc. to gain a sense of numbers. She also, in third grade, made a number line consisting of 100 clothespins on a "rope" of folded over duct tape. She colored in every tenth clothespin and used that to visualize the number system and perform simple math equations. Then we moved on to memorizing math facts (VERY important for math fluency). If your child doesn't like flashcards there are lots of fun math games online which encourage the memorization of math facts. APLUS math is one if I remember correctly. I truly believe that one-on-one math is the only way to go for kids with severe math challenges. The benefit of Saxon is that it is cyclical and constantly repeats and enforces concepts. It's not recommended for kids with dyslexia though because it does involve a lot of written text. My daughter, who also has writing challenges, benefits from the Saxon homeschool edition which is paperback. She doesn't have to copy down all of the equations because she can write in the book! She really likes T4L math (which she did over the summer) too. My dad, a former math professor, is her math teacher and loves Saxon so we are sticking with it for now. This year we are using T4L for social studies and language arts. Anyhow, I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.

crickbrie is offline Member

Hi Adria,
    I'm looking to have my daughter tested for a specific L.D. and was wondering how you went about getting your daughter tested. Her pediatrician referred her to a neuropsychologist but our insurance will not cover it and the cost is $1400.00.
    Thank you,
    Christy

Bryan is offline Junior Member

I ended up using the Jumpstart program to help me with my son. I was really surprised by the results of his placement test on it. Since it is a learning software it increases the difficulty level as the child is ready. I have had great luck with this. Hope this helps you.