Testing for L.D.
    crickbrie is offline Member

Default Testing for L.D.

My daughter was referred by her doctor to a psychotherapist to find out what her exact learning disability is. The problem is my insurance may not cover the $1,400.00 testing. Does anyone have any advice on how I may get in to a special program that may offer a lower fee? I'll pay the $1,400.00 if need be, but if I don't have to that would be a blessing.
    Thanks,
    Christy

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crickbrie View Post
    My daughter was referred by her doctor to a psychotherapist to find out what her exact learning disability is. The problem is my insurance may not cover the $1,400.00 testing. Does anyone have any advice on how I may get in to a special program that may offer a lower fee? I'll pay the $1,400.00 if need be, but if I don't have to that would be a blessing.
    Thanks,
    Christy
    WOW That is a lot of money. My boys were evaluated and diagnosed through the speech and audiology departments of our local All Children's Hospitals. Though there was a deductible it was what they would have paid for any testing.

I would also suggest contacting Dianne Craft - Solutions for dyslexia, dysgraphia, and struggling learners. and see what they think? She works with homeschoolers who have learning glitches.

However, if those things don't workout I totally understand that the 1400.00 is well worth the investment.

Let us know how it goes. (((Big Hugs)))
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Well my insurance will not be covering the evaluation since it's considered mental health - REALLY!!!!!!! I'm a bit frustrated with their decisions. The psychotherapist is willing to let us split the cost into 4 payments but have to have 1/2 down before the testing and the other 1/2 before they give me results.
    Mary - Thank you so much for the information. I'll be looking into that right away. Like I said I'll pay the $1400.00 if need be, but it would be really helpful to not have to.
    Christy

mcmary is offline Member

I highly recommend neuropsychological evaluation if your insurance will cover it. If your child has a medical diagnosis they might. Otherwise you can have her tested at your local public school for free even if she's not enrolled. I recommend the WISC IV and Woodcock Johson but there are other similar tests that are sufficient that schools can administer. Test results are VERY helpful so I hope you can find an affordable option!

stacy51 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default school district

hi. i am wanting to test my daughter for a learning disability and i just found out that the local school district has to test your child and offer specific services that she may need. you should check out your local district and talk to the head of special education.

Thank you for the info mcmary. When she was in public school they tested her for a learning disability. They said it was a memory retention disability and that was the only diagnosis/testing they gave us. Not sure if that was their full evaluation or if the school would do more specific testing for dyslexia. Her pediatrician suspects it is dyslexia and then refered us to the neuropsychologist but my insurance will not cover it.
    My doubts about the schools diagnosis is that she remembers other things just fine and sometimes shocks me with the things she does knows. She had no problem remembering her numbers and really enjoys math. If it's memory retention wouldn't she have a problem remember, period???
    Thanks again for the info.
    Christy

mcmary is offline Member

Christy,

There are different types of memory. Working memory is the ability to hold information in your mind and manipulate it. Long-term memory is the information that is "stored" in our brain that we are able to access when needed. There are also auditory and visual memories. My daughter's weakness if visual memory, so even though she has okay long-term and working memory, she struggled some with learning to read and write, which both rely a lot on visual memory. Dyslexia is an additional language issue involving how the brain processes visual information (written text)- I really think it's wise that you are seeking answers to help you plan your daughter's education. The reason that a neuropsychological evaluation is helpful is that it assesses how our brain works. A good neuropsychologist will take the information and present it in a detailed report with suggestions on what learning environment/type of curriculum is best for your child. My child has a medical condition and therefore her neuropsychological evaluations (she's had three) have been covered by insurance (they are billed as medical instead of mental health). But she's also had assessments done through the public schools, which are adequate. If I were you I would specifically request that they administer the WISC IV and the Woodcock Johnson. Comparing the scores will allow them to see whether or not a significant discrepancy is found in any particular area(s). Traditionally that's how learning disabilities are diagnosed- comparing IQ scores with other test scores. I hope this is helpful and that you are able to get some helpful testing done by your district. If you do find that your daughter has dyslexia a specialized reading program, such as Dianne Craft, will really help.

Thank you for the info Mary. All the information I can get is soooo helpful
    Christy

reb621 is offline Member

I know I'm late on this, but wanted to offer another CHEAP solution for parents who think they might know what the issue is and just want to confirm a hunch (though I'm not sure it would help test for dyslexia---definitely working and long-term memory): The ($30) Gibson Test (online). My daughter's tutor said she likes the test and the research behind it is credible. We've also used Dianne Craft's visual tools--great for learning multiplication, sight words, and spelling rules. I wish I could have her evaluate my older 2 in person, but way too expensive. We've done her brain gym-like exercises, but not consistently nor daily, so only slight, observable benefit. (but fun!) ;-)