Text to speech programming on T4L
    Belinda is offline Junior Member Newbie

Unhappy Text to speech programming on T4L

Hello Folks;

We are new to T4L and my daughter has been enjoying her lessons so far; yet, we are frustrated that the reading portions cannot always be highlighted for text to speech programming.
    Due to reading challenges my 13 year old is having trouble successfully understanding the lessons at hand. We have tried both software suggested by T4L and these only work occassionlly. I truly feel that T4L should master this and therefore increase full inclusion for children who need these aids.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions or am I back to orally reading materials.
    HELP.

crickbrie is offline Member

Thank you for posting this. I have also had problems with both programs and just figured that's the way it is. My daughter needs me to read to her also and I'd like for her to be more independent with her school work.
    Christy

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Time4Learning usually recommends Natural Reader. What kinds of problems did you have with that program?

Time4Learning uses curriculum developed by CompassLearning, who only provides it to schools. Time4Learning has purchased a license that allows them to offer it to individuals. Because Time4Learning doesn't own the content, we can't make the kinds of changes you mention . . . but we can offer suggestions to CompassLearning.

Many parents do report success with reading the lessons to their students. I find that it helps me stay in tune with their progress. It takes a bit of my time, but it's still easier than teaching everything from scratch, the way I used to do.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Nic's Mom is offline Junior Member

We tried the free version of Natural Reader and found the voice a bit mechanical. We decided to buy the personal version that has the more natural sounding voices and really like it. We don't use it all the time, but there are times when our son wants to do his lessons by himself and it is a great option. The personal version also has the ability to convert text to MP3, and we have used it for car trips. It's been very handy.

Hope that helps,
    Lisa

crickbrie is offline Member

Hi Lisa,
    Thanks for the info. I also have a problem with the mechanical voice.
    Christy