Tips..., For Special Needs Families!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Tips..., For Special Needs Families!

Dear Moms and Dads who have children that learn differently. Would you take a moment and share tips that you've found help bring out the BEST in your incredible child? What works in your home?
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Blog Entries

I'll start with the things I've found to help, but I can't wait to hear your tips as well.

1- I sit with all my children when they take their Time4Learning tests. I learned this by accident. One day I just decided to sit with my ten year old as he took his math test. I noticed that he missed all the questions on Odd and Even numbers. He couldn't process it in his brain because it was very auditory. When I looked at his backpack he had an 80% which would have been passing, but because I knew he was struggling I went back and had him repeat the lesson on Odd/Even until he mastered it.

2- After lots of Neurodevelopmental Therapy and Brain Integration therapy I have found that kids do better with lots of outside play. The sun is GREAT for their little brains, but the play helps to work on large and small motor skills which help to organize the left and right sides of the brain.

3- Being quiet. Again I learned this from Neurodevelopmental therapy. My therapist told me that it can be confusing when we talk too much trying to teach a subject. It's better to "model" for them. For instance when my son was struggling with learning how to carry in addition I explained it one time, but then sat and did ten problems and made him watch me. I didn't teach at all. I quietly would talk to myself so they could hear me do each step. I cannot tell you what a difference this has made.

Okay, your turn!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

mcmary is offline Member

Hi Mary,

My daughter is an auditory learner. I would summarize the most helpful "discoveries" we've made in regards to what works best to be:

1) It's okay to read some of the material out loud to her since she learns best by hearing.
    2) One-on-one learning is SO much better for a struggling learner than the classroom setting- in particular in math for our child.
    3) It's okay to sometimes scribe for her- allowing her to get her ideas out in a faster, more efficient manner.
    4) A good low sugar, low simple carb. diet supplemented with amino acids, omega oil, vitamin D, and (in our daughter's case) glyconutrients.
    5) Educational therapy to address her underlying visual/spatial and visual/motor deficits.

I could go on and on, but these are the 5 that came to mind right away!

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

I don't really consider us to be a special needs family, but I guess we are, so I'm rolling with it. Thanks for the great tips, ladies! I think what you have both suggested illustrates my first tip well.

1) The gift of homeschooling is that each child can be taught in the way he or she can best learn. If you don't know your child's primary way of gathering information, find out! It will save you a lot of headache.

2) Don't be afraid to think outside the box. If you notice your child isn't "getting" a certain concept, it's okay to teach them through play or by using something they like to model a concept.

3) Know when to call it a day.
    Melissa.

fath86 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Patience is the key. Whether teaching a special child or not, patience helps a lot when teaching our children. If we give up easily then our children will also. All those people whom we know as brilliant took time to learn things and master their craft and patience is one of the best traits us parents should learn and master.

Blog Entries

I LOVE all these responses! I put them in my invisible basket and use them as resources to reflect on when we're having a bad day.

aussie62 is offline Junior Member Newbie

My daughter has Asperger's Syndrome and I have found that all your tips are worth giving a go. This is out first year homeschooling and at the moment she is making my job very easy. I am sure it will not always be this way. My daughter is a visual learner and hands on. I have gone to www.positivelyautisum.com and have found alot of good info there. Some of the information there is a little young for her, but you can always add your own ideas to theirs and come with something quite unique. Thanks ladies for sharing

Messanayah is offline Junior Member

Default Hope this Helps!

With my child i find it is better for me to sit with her and actually read along with her when she is working on subjects that are more difficult for her. We use flash cards, I also try to help her using outside resources to explain things she cannot understand..for my nah nah she seem to learn better through play sometime, so sometimes when she cannot figure something out or has trouble memorizing something we make a games out of it..or a song even! she loves this especially when it comes to math and also when she is trying to define words I speak to her in a very soft tone and always I keep my cool and i made her learning place as colorful and fun as I possibly could. We have some of the same rules she had in public school with a few exceptions, (I wanted to make her transition form public school to home school as smooth as I could.) and we have a very strict schedule that we keep simular to the one she had while in public school. we take 15 minute break for snacks and stretching through out the day and we have a regular lunch period when we both eat and take a 1 hour break I am still kinda new to this, Iso I am kinda rolling with the punches...lol I hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Messanayah View Post
    With my child i find it is better for me to sit with her and actually read along with her when she is working on subjects that are more difficult for her. We use flash cards, I also try to help her using outside resources to explain things she cannot understand..for my nah nah she seem to learn better through play sometime, so sometimes when she cannot figure something out or has trouble memorizing something we make a games out of it..or a song even! she loves this especially when it comes to math and also when she is trying to define words I speak to her in a very soft tone and always I keep my cool and i made her learning place as colorful and fun as I possibly could. We have some of the same rules she had in public school with a few exceptions, (I wanted to make her transition form public school to home school as smooth as I could.) and we have a very strict schedule that we keep simular to the one she had while in public school. we take 15 minute break for snacks and stretching through out the day and we have a regular lunch period when we both eat and take a 1 hour break I am still kinda new to this, Iso I am kinda rolling with the punches...lol I hope this helps
    I love this post. What a sweet mommy you are and this is a GREAT tip. I love your picture too. It's nice when we can put a face with a username. Thank you for sharing.

CryingEagle is offline Junior Member

I have found that my boys learn best through playing games. They love internet and video games. They will spend hours and hours on the computer, if I don't throw them outside for a while. I am so grateful for the opportunity to homeschool my youngest two boys. We got off to a very rocky start this year, but there is ALWAYS room for change. To kick of 2011, I made a new schedule, with the help of the "Getting Started Guide". I do love Kelly's idea of reading aloud together for an hour. To my surprise, this morning, I got no resistance from the boys at all! We also made some homemade baking clay, for them to play with for art. They love it! I wish I would have thought about that sooner. I have also found tons of other homeschooling sites with all sorts of tips and info. It's definitely a trial and error process for us, to see what works best for them. The one thing I want to do is take them on field trips. I have a few ideas of some things we'd all enjoy. There is a wolf preserve close by, as well as Lions, Tigers and Bears. Anyone else have any ideas for field trips?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast