Trevor 7 years old and no place in the public school
    Joy0117s is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Trevor 7 years old and no place in the public school

My 7 year old child Has been in public school since he was 5.His first year went like this excessive crying,inability to sit still,unable to establish eye contact,holding his ears and crying with pain when someone spoke on the intercom.refusing to wear underwear,the list is very long.The Teacher decided to put him in a corner with a clothes basket and clothes pins He put the pin on the basket and took them off again over and over all day .After several request from me to have a confrence was ignored I finally got one .After talking with the teacher i decided to get Trevor tested outside of the school believing it would be quicker and Trevor could be placed in a class where he could begin to learn.I took Him to The Marcus Inst. for Autisum. He was thoroughly tested and found to not be Autistic (because he knew three words to many they said) but to exibit many Autistic like symptoms as well as ADHD combined type,expresive language disorder,Sensory processing disorder and mild Cerebral Palsy.Well I took all this to the school hoping it would better help Trevor to find his place in the school to begining learning .Well they decided to make him an EIP not IEP which is pretty much a 504 plan so this meant Trevor was now out of the corner and on the computer using a program called Starfall.com. He was no longer a part of the classroom they were making pictures to take home ,Trevor was sitting at a computer with headphones on. Well he failed grade K and repeted it again last year where he still went unserved despite my efforts to get him placed in a suitable place for learning.He passed only b/c he had to by law .He had already repeted GradeK so he had to be placed in First grade .Well here we are now Trevor was placed in first grade .The Teacher was flipping her lid with him in her class He was such a distraction .The work was to hard and Trevor was getting worse and worse with his behavior in school and at home.I made one more attempt to get him tested again and placed somewhere where he could begin to learn.Well Trevor's sister entered a after school program and was not riding the bus home for two days a week well Trevor refused to get on the bus they tried to make him and he went to the floor in a tantrum well they decided he was being DEFIANT and put him in ISS .I refused to allow it and we went to war.Trevor refused to get on that bus because he didn't see his sister on it .He was confused ,scared and uncertian He was not DEFIANT as they say he was .Kids like Trevor must not have a routine change without first understanding what's going to happen and sometimes that don't even work.Now Trevor ,an adorable 7 year old with big green eyes and a smile that melts has lost 2 years of learning and was failing first grade this year .Well I decide to remove him from public school wed Sept 23rd. I enrolled his and his 3rd grade sister in Time4learning on the 24th Jessey is loving every minute of and even thought I asked her do you like math and she answers with I hate it since starting this program all she wants to do is the math assignments ! Trevor although he is starting over pertty much in Kindergarten again he loves working on the computer and with some minor ajustments like adding a mouse to the laptop I bought him to work on, He has been excited about learning for the first time . His awful acting out has gone! his hyper activity of course hasn't but I let him get up when ever he feels the need ''more like an overwhelming erge !''He has a repetitive jumpimg thing and he just has to jump no matter what.So we use this time to learn to do new things on the trampoline.I kid you not! He's a new and improved Trevor without the stress of the school on him. He will always have struggles in life but it sure will go easier for him now that theres no bully on the playground kicking bruises on him everyday and calling him names. My Question is now as a New homeschooler I don't know what catagory to place him in since he wasn't in special Ed in public school? will this program automatically place him in the SP.ED. according to his grades ? Is there someone I would need to talk to on the phone about this ?I know I did the right thing for Him.I just want to know if I have him working on the right levels for him .

chapswife is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Trevor 7 years old and no place in the public school

Hello and welcome!! I do not the know the answers to your questions, but wanted to take the time to let you know that you are not alone here. There are many moms (including myself) that have watched their child or children get left behind each and every year! It is amazing what the right enviroment can do for kids that have sensory issues or just are wired a little different. My son is 11 and I just started homeschooking him this year....some days are great and other days are not so great, but he is happier and doesn't have as many as his "nervous ticks" as he used to! These type of children just learn differently and that is OK....we have to embrace how the Lord made them and find out how each child that the Lord gives us learns.

Anyway....welcome....I hope you find a home here among us!

God Bless
    Military Wife
    Mom of 4 amazing kids
    (homeschooling one of them)
    and a daughter of the King!!!!!

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Wow, am I glad you're here!

I am just about ripping my hair out trying to figure out how your son did not *qualify* for special education classes at his public school. I understand there are legal loopholes and hoops to jump through in order to get anything done, but in your son's situation, I think that is completely ridiculous! As a mom whose son is being properly placed at 3.5 yrs, I am so angry for you and him right now! Grr. All of the things you are describing are exactly what make me nervous about letting him go to public school. Why couldn't they understand that his behavior was only because he was afraid and overwhelmed? Aahhh! Since he wasn't diagnosed with frank Autism, I'm surprised they didn't say he had Aspergers or PDD-NOS instead. All of the pieces seem to be there. :-\ In any event, he was clearly placed in the wrong type of classroom that not only failed to give him a free and appropriate education (req'd by law if you're in the US), but also put him in danger (by trying to force him onto the bus alone when he was clearly terrified and then punished him for being afraid).

BUT-- now you're here and you are already seeing how your home environment is better for him. Some families do much better in other school systems, but yours doesn't have to be one of them.

As for T4L, I would consider placing Trevor in the K level if you feel that's the level he'd do well with. He can redo any of the lessons as many times as he wants and you can help him out as much as you want. You're the teacher now! [My son is doing the PreK program and will usually do the same lessons over and over. No biggie!] I also think it would do Trevor well to achieve some successes to try to counteract his school experience so far. If it's too easy, you can always move him up to 1st.

Have you heard of an idea called deschooling? Sometimes when children are traumatized at school, they do better restarting homeschool after a decompression period. I do not have any firsthand experience with this, but from what I have read, taking off a month per year of poor experience will allow kids to start anew. I think that may be too long, but I would at least take a few weeks to get your plan together and to let him experience real world learning. If he likes the outdoors, enjoy the fall colors or go apple picking. If he can handle movies or museums, let him decide what to learn about and go from there. Surely there's something he's interested in.

If you have more questions or just want to chat or vent, there are many nice people here on the T4L boards, so I hope to see you around!
    Melissa.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joy0117s
    My Question is now as a New homeschooler I don't know what catagory to place him in since he wasn't in special Ed in public school? will this program automatically place him in the SP.ED. according to his grades ? Is there someone I would need to talk to on the phone about this ?I know I did the right thing for Him.I just want to know if I have him working on the right levels for him .
    First of all, let me just say, YOU ARE AN AMAZING MOM! GOOD FOR YOU for being your sons advocate! You were very proactive and your son will forever be grateful that you went before him. You remind me of Thomas Edison's mom. Thomas could not sit still, talked too much, moved around, wouldn't listen and his teachers told his mom he could never learn. One day when the principle contacted her and told her that he was "addled" (stupid and confused) she decided to pull him out of school and homeschool him and the rest is history. She believed in him when no one else could or would. He died with 1,093 patents. He credited everything to his mother. (((Big Good Job Hugs)))

Time4Learning does not have a special ed program. When you signed up they should have sent you some questions asking you where you thought your son was working. You are more than welcome to call 1-(954) 771-0914 or you can e-mail them at: [email protected]

In the beginning you may need to play around to find the perfect placement. Feel no rush. I actually had all my children start just a bit "under" where they were actually able to work so they could get used to the program and have fun before needing to learn new skills. Also, don't worry about grade level at all. Children have to work at where they are. Even if that's several grade levels under where the schools says they are.

I also would visit our state by state homeschooling forums and plug in there for support with your states laws. Have you read our "Getting Started Manuel"? http://www.time4learning.com/homeschool/welcome.htm It is a wonderful resource that I wish had been around when I began my home education journey 12 years ago.

Know that you are not alone and we are here for you!
    Mary
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Welcome! And ITA, you are amazing! Sorry that the PS system failed you but totally understand your frustration!
    We are on our 2nd year of it for my boys. 1 is ADHD and was left behind in the system in terms of learning, the other is gifted and was forced to work at his classrooms grade level instead of being challenged. After numerous fights with 2 different public schools(middle and elementary) we pulled them and started T4L! Never looked back either because my boys have blossomed and learn!
    As for where to put your son, I think starting in Kindergarten T4L is fine! You say he wasnt ready to move on but they legally had too shove him into 1st so I am sure he has gaps! Besides having an easy year will give him confidence that he can do it!
    As for deschooling, we did 10 days! That was long enough for my son, any longer and we would have lost him to laziness. General rule of thumb of deschooling supporters is 1 month off per year of public school. That would have meant that DS was out of school for 6 months doing nothing...Umm, no. He was allowed to do nothing those 10 days in terms of school.
    Sounds like your son and daughter are on the road to a really good thing and you are a great Mom for seeing and doing what you felt they needed!

denimay is offline Senior Member

Joy........bless you! I pretty much agree with everyone else's comments here. I'm a certified teacher and HS mom and a research freak. I very much believe in 'intuitive learning' (Montesorri) and I'm a strong (but mostly quiet) advocate of un or de schooling. I would reccommend a book called Deschooling Our Lives by Matt Hern http://www.amazon.com/Deschooling-Our-L ... 357&sr=8-1
    This is the amazon link, but you could get it at your library prob'ly.

I wanted my son to have 8 years of being a kid. This does not mean we did NOTHING....but it does mean that I wasn't sitting with flashcards in his face at age 2. I DID start speech therapy stuff at age 3 when I realized there was a problem, but aside from counting things and pointing out the colors of things and reading to him and talking about opposites and making observations about our world......oh and sitting him on the counter to "stir" something (he LOVES to "cook"... for breakfast or dinner. We did lots of "un/deschooling" things. We will continue that and now I feel we're ready for academics (he's 8 now). He is "behind" by PS standards, but he's ahead in that he is bilingual (English/Spanish). He can clearly print all of the letters of the alphabet though we are still working on letter identification and sounds. He has a speech delay in that he does not speak clearly though he has a lot of vocabulary that he can vocalize well enough to be understood by anyone in both languages. His speech is improving by leaps and lulls.......big improvements followed by plateaus for lack of a better word. If he was tested (we have NO services here), I think he might have some kind of processing issue but maybe he just needs time and for mom to find the right method for him.

We started this summer with T4L and I started him with kindergarten and recently requested access to PreK as there are a few things I feel he needs more practice with. He's not jumping for joy with this program, but he seems to ace most of the quizes and tests so he's either a really good guesser or he's actually paying more attention than he appears. I suppliment with hands on projects which he likes to do alot.

It sounds to me like you've made the best and bravest choice for your kids. You'll find you have a great support group here........congrats and all the best for this new adventure! deni...........
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

Blog Entries

Deni, you fill my cup! I just love your posts. I thought I had heard of every homeschool book on the market. (not really, but you know what I mean) I really like the look of the de-schooling one.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Joy0117s is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you all so much ! Just before I pulled Trevor out of Public School I had talked them into retesting him.Well a few days ago I recieved a phone call from the school telling me that even though I had withdrew Trevor from the school he still can take the testing if I would like .So I have agreed to allow them to continue the testing at the board of Ed. Now i am waiting for a phone call to set it all up.I am amazed at how well trevor is doing on this program!Everytime he aces a quiz or test i reward him with stickers .Who ever knew a kid would love getting stickers as much as he does !His awful tantrums are all gone ! He's even following me around with his laptop in tow wanting to work on his assignment well after his 5 hours we work everyday.I would like to say it's because he loves learning but to be honest I think it's the stickers driving him lol I would also like to add That Trevor and his sister Jessey are actually my Grandchildren.We have had custody of them from birth so We call them ours.Again i thank all of you for the awesome support you've shown me and for the great advise .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joy0117s
    .I am amazed at how well trevor is doing on this program!Everytime he aces a quiz or test i reward him with stickers .Who ever knew a kid would love getting stickers as much as he does !His awful tantrums are all gone ! He's even following me around with his laptop in tow wanting to work on his assignment well after his 5 hours we work everyday.I would like to say it's because he loves learning but to be honest I think it's the stickers driving him lol I would also like to add That Trevor and his sister Jessey are actually my Grandchildren.We have had custody of them from birth so We call them ours.Again i thank all of you for the awesome support you've shown me and for the great advise .
    What a HUGE blessing this is to hear