What do you do about a gifted child?

Default What do you do about a gifted child?

My first grader just tested on 7th grade reading level. I cannot even grasp what it means. He attends regular school and started saying that he is sick and wants to go home because truly he is bored and unchallenged at school. Anyone in the same situation. What do you do?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What do you do about a gifted child?

I've had two kids identified as gifted on the basis of their reading ability. If they're identified very young, it does often even out eventually. A first grader who tests at seventh grade level reading is unusual, but a seventh grader who tests at college level reading will have a lot of company.

Time4Learning is great for giving kids a chance to excel in the area of their particular strength. If you're homeschooling, you can let him proceed as quickly as he likes with the lessons. If he's in a traditional school situation, you can use the lessons after school or on the weekends.

It would be very frustrating to be reading first grade level books if you're able to comprehend seventh grade material. I can understand why he would be bored.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!