What type of Schedule should we using.
    brantley65 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default What type of Schedule should we using.

We just started using T4L. My son is dyslexic and is reading at a second grade level and is currently in 4th grade. My Wife is trying to cover LA, Math, Science & SS each day. Should we break them up and only do LA on certain days, Math on certain days. We are new to homeschooling and still trying to find our way and get comfortable. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Brant

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Default Re: What type of Schedule should we using.

We do Math every day, LA and LA Ex are split but we do one of the per day, Science is 3 days a week, Social Studies is 4 days a week. Every kid is different, but I know my son would get bored and lose interest if we did 1 day on nothing but Math or LA, etc. We try to do a little bit each day like a reg. classroom but WAY shorter. School with T4L takes about 2.5 hrs inc. breaks plus they do a few other homeschool things in the morning.
    Dont worry, you guys will find a schedule that works for you and your child!

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

My kids usually do one lesson per day in each of the 5 subjects, but we are very relaxed here.

I used to try to follow a strict schedule, and the main reason it didn't work is that some lessons are harder, and require more time while others are easy and they zip through them. Its just easier on me to scrap the schedule - they now get to at least 90% of the material I hope for each day. This system feels right, and we are loving homeschooling. It took many months to figure out what worked best for us.

My younger daughter (2nd/3rd levels) usually gets through all five subjects in about 3 hours. She has a lot of say in which subjects and units to study, and she is very enthusiastic about her work (usually!)

Math is the first subject both of my children work on each day. This started because my older daughter was sometimes taking a much longer time in math and missing others subjects, but once I'm satisfied with their math lesson for the day, they usually decide on the next subject. They will be tested on math and language arts, for the state, so I usually give these subjects higher priority.

We now approach science and social studies with far more flexibility and no time constraints. They seem to love this approach. My older daughter is finally rediscovering the joy of learning, and I am thrilled. They choose units and we supplement with library books, YouTube videos, other web pages, etc.....I've been trying to add lapbooks to these studies, but Meghan keeps wanting to start new units faster than I can put together the plans!
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

drgnstrm is offline Senior Member

I am homeschooling 2 children on different schedules.
    With my adhd 8th grader we have a broken up schedule.
    Language Arts/Vocabulary, Social Studies - Monday and Tuesday
    Science, Math- Wednesday and Thursday
    Reading- Monday-Thursday
    PE/Health- Mon, Wed and Friday
    Keyboarding (1 of 4 mini classes changes each term) Tuesdays, Thursdays

Fridays we also do 2 of the core classes, like Math, SS, LA and/or Science. Vocabulary test every friday.

For my daughter 3rd grade
    she does each of these classes Mon-Fri
    LA/spelling, Math (no Math on Fridays), PE or Health, and Reading
    3 days a week I schedule in Science, SS and Art
    2 days a week she does Jumpstart computer program 1 of them being Fridays

It works for us, and took a couple of different scedules (over 2 years) to find the one we both can agree on.

Happy Homeschooling
    Dayna
    Happy Homeschooling Dayna

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

Oh, when I say they work on each subject, that might mean just reading the next chapter to prepare for getting deeper into it the next day....Math is the only subject I am a little more firm about because there are so many lessons. A minimum of one lesson/one quiz is a general guideline per school day. That goal is usually met, unless the material in 6th grade is very hard - then we might spend a couple days in a lesson.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Different things work for different families. For my own kids, it works well if they do the same subjects every day. That eliminates checking the calendar to see if it's a social studies day or a science day, and it keeps them from "forgetting" about any subjects.

Many, many users do certain subjects on certain days, so you'll have plenty of company if you choose to go that route.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!