worried about her social skills
    busymommy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Exclamation worried about her social skills

My daughter is special needs she is 14 with cerebral palsy she is functional (she walks and talks) to longer in wheelchair or uses braces. developmentally she is around 11 yrs old which makes it hard for her to socialize with other 14 yr old girls. I am worried that since she is homeschooled she wont learn how to to sociable with her peers. She is the only child at home.

Any suggestions
    busymommy

bridgettbaldwin is offline Junior Member Newbie

I would suggest finding a homeschool support group in your area. You can search them out online for your area. Also try your state forum for people in your area. Support groups are for parents and children! They allow your child to socialize through play dates while parents discuss the YAYS AND WOHS of homeshcooling!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Busymommy. I have the same issue with our dd. She is 15, but developmentally she is about 10. Our dd has Down syndrome. She is high functioning, but is still behind for her age, of course. While she looks like she's about 14, she acts like she's 10, and has a little trouble communicating. Her speech is a bit hard to understand. All this hinders her to some extent.
    We put her in a ballet class for homeschoolers, which has been great. The girls are so kind to her, helping her when she misses her steps. I have noticed that homeschool families tend to be kinder and more sensitive. As the parents show some interest in our dd and try to include her, making conversation with her, their children follow their example. I would just encourage, also, to look for homeschool support groups in your area. Have a tea party or a play date with girls her developmental age. There may be a homeschool P.E. group that she can participate in, or a girl scout group.

Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovehmschlg3 View Post
    Hi, Busymommy. I have the same issue with our dd. She is 15, but developmentally she is about 10. Our dd has Down syndrome. She is high functioning, but is still behind for her age, of course. While she looks like she's about 14, she acts like she's 10, and has a little trouble communicating. Her speech is a bit hard to understand. All this hinders her to some extent.
    We put her in a ballet class for homeschoolers, which has been great. The girls are so kind to her, helping her when she misses her steps. I have noticed that homeschool families tend to be kinder and more sensitive. As the parents show some interest in our dd and try to include her, making conversation with her, their children follow their example. I would just encourage, also, to look for homeschool support groups in your area. Have a tea party or a play date with girls her developmental age. There may be a homeschool P.E. group that she can participate in, or a girl scout group.
    Love these suggestions.
    Also most homeschooling fund martial arts or swimming classes for P.E. where you can meet other people as well. They do not have to be the same age for socialization either. Libraries and bookstores hold events too and there could be clubs or associations, groups or societies of things you and your daughter might enjoy and join as well.