How do you use T4L in the summertime? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How do you use T4L in the summertime?

jacpin2002 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi everyone,

I just signed my daughter up for T4L. She is going into the 7th grade this year. I actually made her repeat 4th grade and now I wish that I hadn't. I wish that I had know something like T4L was around, so that I could have found another way to help her out. Oh, well. Time keeps on moving. I am glad that I found this out for my daughter. I am having her review all of the 6th grade curriculum. I told her that it shouldn't be too hard, since it is a review. I went over a couple of things with her and she said that it shouldn't be a problem. My goal is for her to complete the 6th grade curriculum and then advance to the 7th grade to get a head start this year. I am having her do all 4 subjects-LA, Math, Science, and Social Studies. Some of the topics in Social Studies and Science, she said they didn't even get to this year. This is why I am thinking of using T4L as a supplement to her public school curriculum. I want the best for my daughter and I want her to get ahead and actually like school for academics and not just the social atmosphere.

I have her schedule printed out in an Excel format. She is going to be spending 4 hours a day on weekdays and 2 hours a day on the weekend. This way, she doesn't have her whole day dedicated to school and still play some video games or go outside. Basically 1 hour a day for each subject and then on the weekend, whichever subject is more difficult, she can spend more time on it.
    bailbrae likes this.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Thanks for introducing yourself. I think summer learning is very important, and I congratulate you on coming up with a plan for your child!

You might find four hours a day to be quite a lot. Remember, kids don't spend every second of their school day hitting the books. So much time is used up waiting for a class period to end before they can go on to the next subject, taking attendance, announcements, assemblies, library time, etc. If all of the "book learning" was compressed into one time period, it wouldn't be a whole lot. You might consider assigning a certain number of activities, instead of a certain amount of time.

Good luck! Let us know how it's going!
    bailbrae likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there, and welcome! I agree with Kelly...assigning a certain number of activities might be better than assigning an amount of time. To each his own of course, but I learned that having them sit there too long just made them antsy and unfocused. And like Kelly said, I would be SHOCKED if public school children actually got 4 hours of learning in a day, lol. Once you consider lunch period, scheduled bathroom breaks and the lines that come with those, changing classes/subjects, recess...I just don't see 4 hours of hardcore learning going on.

My boys have been using T4L for more than five years now, and they school through the summer (we take our breaks throughout the year; southern summers are too hot to want to stay outside!). Some days their assigned two activities take an hour, but some days those two assigned activities can take three hours.

The great thing about schooling at home is the ability to be flexible and have those trial and error moments, lol. You obviously have put a lot of time and thought into your plans for the summer. If those plans work out, that's fabulous. But if you find that they aren't working, you can change things up.

Looking forward to hearing how your summer progresses...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2