How to pick lesson plans for the summer?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy
  • 1 Post By mamaneedham
  • 1 Post By fairylover

Thread: How to pick lesson plans for the summer?

Default How to pick lesson plans for the summer?

Hello, I am new to this site. I am planning to do summer school with my 2 kids this summer, I am having a little trouble figuring out how to pick which lesson plans to use and what order etc. My son who is in first grade needs to repeat just about everything he learned this year. He is repeating first grade in public school in the fall but I want him to be as caught up as possible. My daughter just needs help in math so I will be focusing on that with her. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Here's one idea: You could print out the first grade scope and sequence (Lesson Plans, under the parent login) and ask his teacher to circle areas where he needs the most review. Then, instead of following the sequence indicated by the flashing arrow, you could use the Activity Finder to input the lesson activity numbers of the teacher's suggested lessons.
    bailbrae likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Have you determined why your son needs to repeat first grade? Is the school he attends just really awful? We determined our son had dyslexia at about this age and that's why he was doing poorly in school. If you think he may have a learning disability of any sort, summer would be a great time to investigate that.

Otherwise, I agree with the above suggestion to hit the highlights of first grade and review whatever your son had trouble with. You could do the same for your daughter -- ask her teacher which areas of math she needs to work on and just focus your efforts on those. Good luck!
    bailbrae likes this.
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Nicumom2, It's so nice to meet you. I would focus on reading and math. Those are the most important things. The other subjects repeat themselves as you go through the years. But you need those basics of reading and math. If you find that he is getting bored with some things you might want to try just doing the quizzes. That will give you a better idea of where he is at.
    bailbrae likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I agree with the others...really go through the lesson plans and the scope and sequence and see if there are areas you want to focus on first. Then go from there.

Good luck, and please check back in and let us know how things are going for you guys!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Have to agree with Kathi, you could just start and let him do quizzes. When you hit a snag that he can't get a passing grade in, then let him do those lessons.

The other thing to keep in mind is that he could probably do the entire 1st grade math curriculum over the summer since there will be no other distractions like lining up for recess, other kids, long days of travelling to school, being at school, and travelling home. As a homeschooler who pulled my daughter out of school in the middle of the 1st grade, I can tell you that you will be amazed at the amount of work that your child can accomplish and master in a shorter period of time than a public school year.

I don't know if your son has learning disabilities, but sometimes failure to thrive in 1st grade is simply a matter of emotional maturity. Emotional maturity was one of the things the school cited when they told me about October that they were going to have my daughter repeat 1st grade the following year. You might find with a little one-on-one work for his core subjects, and time, he might catch up and do wonderfully next fall.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!