Summer Breaks...do you actually BREAK?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Alicet
  • 1 Post By MamaToHerRoo

Thread: Summer Breaks...do you actually BREAK?

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Summer Breaks...do you actually BREAK?

I have found that there isn't a typical homeschooling schedule. Some families follow the school calendar, while other families do year round school. Others just start in one month and see when they finish.

Even when homeschoolers follow the school calendar, they still tend to have learning activities planned for the summer breaks, whether it's to keep information fresh in little minds, or simply to keep kids from getting too bored.

I try to find something educational in pretty much EVERY activity that my homeschooling family does. From field trips, to baking, to shopping (hey - a person's got to have a firm grasp on sales, lol), we "learn" everywhere! Having said that however, when it's time for summer I need a break just as much *read MORE* than the kids do! So, I have no shame in admitting that our summer break is just that - a break.

What about your family...how do you handle your summer schedule?
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

gemma is offline Junior Member

I usually send my kids to summer camp. They enjoy it mostly because they love outdoor activities. They are a very active bunch. They get to meet new people and in a way it is a learning experience for them too. Staying outdoors and away from home promotes independence and with their outdoor activities, they learn to be in a team. As for me, I get to have a break which after a year of hard work is very much earned.
    Last edited by gemma; 09-10-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi gemma! Thanks for chiming in! I agree...I need the break as much as (if not more!) the kiddos do.
    Katie

manikabakshi is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hey everyone!! I too agree with all the mommy's out there, that we too need a break!! with kids it is so monotonous, everyday routine, that you hardly get time for your selves!! I send my daughter saisha in the morning, and then doing daily chores,but she is 2 year old only, so she generally comes back at 12 from her playschool!! but i make sure that when she has her summer holidays, she is engaged in some activity or other, otherwise when school re-opens, she doesnt become haywire and forget what little she has learned! Whenever summer vacations starts . my friends usually go on a long break! But I made saisha join personality development classes in her playschool, where they teach you table manners, etiquette! Then I make her go for swimming and dancing too!! And recently i bought this fun learning DVD pack from hushbabies! It teaches fruits, vegetables, seasons, introduces musical sounds, It is a very creative way to make your child learn things, and saisha remembers it for long!! As pictures get instilled in children's mind more!! Keep on sharing your ideas, of what your little monsters doo!! Fun learning Pack 5DVD in 1 Pack in India-Shop at hushbabies.com

Chris.T. is offline Junior Member Newbie

I really try to make a break, sometimes I do it like gemma and send them to some summercamp or on vacation with their friendīs parents, but mostly itīs not possible to really "pause" when the kids are at home.. So the summer break for me isnīt really a break .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.T. View Post
    I really try to make a break, sometimes I do it like gemma and send them to some summercamp or on vacation with their friendīs parents, but mostly itīs not possible to really "pause" when the kids are at home.. So the summer break for me isnīt really a break .
    Hello, and welcome! Thanks for chiming in!
    Katie

Alicet is offline Junior Member Newbie

Camp or vacaion
    bailbrae likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alicet View Post
    Camp or vacaion
    Fun! Thank you so much for chiming in!
    Katie

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

We homeschool year round so we don't really take a break from school. What we do really is take a break from some of our extra-curricular stuff during the summer and that allows our schedule to lighten up a bit. Besides, we live on a farm so there is lots of gardening activities that we need to take care of (plowing, planting, fertilizing, harvesting, canning, drying, etc!) during the summer.

I don't want that to sound like we don't take breaks...part of the reason we school year round is so that we can take a day, or a week off whenever we need "mental health" days
    bailbrae likes this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!